uneven cutting

vtrwillie

Threads
Hey guys,
My riding mower has developed an issue while cutting grass. The right hand blade doesn't cut as low as the left hand blade. Blades have been replaced and I have checked the deck height on both sides and it appears to be ok. Any idea on what the problem could be?

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you check the deck height or the blade height.
They are not necessarily the same thing particularly if your mower has a pressed deck
Did you look under the deck & check that the blades were at the same height & form a strait line left to right ?

vtrwillie

Threads
Checked deck height, and yes the deck is stamped steel. I'll take a look at the blades. How do you adjust blade height if one of them needs to be adjusted?
Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You adjust the deck you measure the blades
If the blades are at different heights at the middle where they almost touch then the deck is bent or the housing is broken.
You have to check both sides of the blade just in case the blade is bent .
High one side, low the other then the blade is bent.
High or low on both ends then the deck is bent or the spindle housing is broken.

Threads
If one cutting strip shows two distinct cutting heights, deck level is not your problem. Look for a broken spindle (mandrel) and/or the deck itself may be bent at one or more spindle mounting points. A bent deck is often very subtle and hard to see. Remove the deck and look for variations in reflections of direct (sun)light to see the bend. To repair a bent deck, you will need a high tech tool known as a big f***ing hammer! Removing spindles often results in broken mounting bolts, so you may have to replace the spindles anyway. That's no big deal. Reinstall them, attach the blades and align them in the middle. Look to see if the blades come together at the same height in the center of the deck. As a last resort, if you can't find the cause of the problem, you may consider using washers or nuts to adjust the spindle mounting to adjust for the difference in cutting height between blades. I do not like this option because it clearly does not resolve the root of the problem, but the result may be what you are looking for.

HandyBoyNZ2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check your Tyre Pressures on the Front wheels. I have a slow leak on the left front and have noticed an uneven cut when I need to pump the left front wheel up.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check your Tyre Pressures on the Front wheels. I have a slow leak on the left front and have noticed an uneven cut when I need to pump the left front wheel up.
Was going to say the same. Check your tire pressure. This is the start of the mowing season. Tires went low over the winter. Definitely will cause an uneven cut.

slomo