Undercarriage welds

ausbrooks18

Forum Newbie
Threads
The welds on my Ford YT16 undercarriage that holds the deck have broken. Is it worth it to have them welded back or do I begin shopping for a new mower? Has anyone else had this problem?

noma

Threads
Ausbrooks18

Hi It depends on what condition your lawn mower is in? If it works good and is in good conditions i would get it fixed, i don't think it would be that expense to have that welded . You could ask them at a welding shop how much it,s going to cost to have it fixed it's just a estimate , unless you have a welder or know of someone with a welder and can do it for you. I would think you still have the old one to be re-welded on or they may have to make new ones for you the brackets.Welcome aboard to:smile:

mullins87

Threads
If the rest of the mower is in good condition, then it is very much worth it to have it fixed. Seems like I am welding something just about everytime I use my older mower.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I bet a weld job is a lot cheaper then a new mower unless your old mower is completely worn out.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the Ford Forum. :smile:

ausbrooks18

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ausbrooks18

Thank you for your reply, my father in law is under the impression that we are talking about multiple hundreds of dollars. It was surprising to see the undercarriage wasn't as beefy as I thought it would be considering the size of the mower, but i suppose you all are right it is still probably cheaper than a new mower.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ausbrooks18

Thank you for your reply, my father in law is under the impression that we are talking about multiple hundreds of dollars. It was surprising to see the undercarriage wasn't as beefy as I thought it would be considering the size of the mower, but i suppose you all are right it is still probably cheaper than a new mower.

Are we talking a small weld job (20-30 $) a broken bracket or two or a complete rebuild multiple hundreds. It looks like this was a cheaper style mower made back in the 80's. Unless the mower is in good condition I sure wouldn't spend hundreds when you can buy a new cheap mower for around 1000$. You are the one to know what you want to spend.

benski

Threads
For not too much money, an hour or two spent with a welder can do a lot. If the rest of your mower is starting to give you problems, sell it as "restoreable" for $???.00 and use that money towards a newer one.:cool: