Engine Type of Oil for Push Mower

meppwc

Threads
I have a Toro and a Craftsman push mower. I need to change oil using SAE 30W..............but I need to know if I should be using 2 stroke or 4 stroke type oil

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a Toro and a Craftsman push mower. I need to change oil using SAE 30W..............but I need to know if I should be using 2 stroke or 4 stroke type oil

You do not use 2 stroke oil.
And you do not have to use the so called made for mowers 4 stroke oil. You can use the same brand you put in your car.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am going to say you have 4 stroke engines so you should keep using the SAE30 oil. Yes you can use either 2 or 4 stroke oil in either engines and get by with it and do no harm. For the price and amount of oil you are using use the right oil for the type of engine you have. This way you will get the most hours out of a engine before a replacement. Back in my earlier years it was one oil for everything and we got by just fine.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Follow the engine owners manual for what type of oil to use. Briggs and Tecumseh is SAE30 and Honda is 10w-30.

treezandgrass

Threads
We use Rotella 10w30 in everything. It is a syn blend and it can take a beating. I have some really old engines with lots of hours and they all run pretty smooth. Those mowers will fall apart before the engines give up.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't use 2stroke oil in a 4 stroke engine... Use the oil that your manual recommends.. brand usually doesn't matter. Don't have a manual use 10w30 .... Again any brand change it regularly

possum

Threads
About any big box store has 30 weight oil for lawnmowers. It will state on their somewhere it is for 4 cycle engines.

tybilly

Threads
what is 2 stroke oil like a 20w? we had a customer bring in her toroinated lawnboy 4 stroke,and showed us her can of lawnboy oil,wich was the 2 stroke ashless,my mentor tech said it wouldn't kill it but it wasn't the right weight.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
2stroke oil is designed to burn with gas. And is very thin

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
2stroke oil is designed to burn with gas. And is very thin

Not saying 2 stroke oil is the right oil to use, Just saying you can get by with it in a 4 cycle engine. It will shorten your engine life. Less then a quart of oil, why not use the right oil and the best.