Turning a Ryobi 480ex into a utility vehicle

Cadet John

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I have had my eye on these mowers for years. I had an old 22" snapper for awhile, so I have experience with this size of machine. The size it almost perfect for what I need, and the fact that it doesnt require ear protection is a huge bonus. Not only that but noise pollution is a concern for me. The fact that the mower can cut 2.5 acres on a single charge tells me it has a 10+ mile range (if the quickbooks app is accurate lol) with out the deck.

I have zero interest in the grass cutting capabilities of this machine. I have my john deere for that. But at the same time, who wants to listen to a tractor start and stop all day on a saturday? Not me! And the ability to traverse my property at night with no noise is a huge bonus (10acres). I thought about a 4 wheeler, but thats like trying to get on a small horse.. I have back problems... I can see that being a problem. I seriously thought about an actual UTV, possibly diesel cause those are quieter, but those things are north of 10K for a decent one (used), new ones start at like 18K, thats new car territory lol vs $3K on sale. Or even a golf cart, but the price is creeping up there and not to mention theyre rather large.

So I have lots of questions, that are not being answered thruogh research. I cant be the first one to think of doing this.

I have seen youtube videos of people mowing wet grass, just how wet can this thing get? Like If I am out back by the tree line, and it starts to pour, can I safely drive this back to the barn 1000' away over wet (mowed) grass?

It looks like the rear of the machine has fenders to accept a larger tire. I am thinking along the lines of a 24" tire, vs the 16" could this pose a problem? The benefits here are a better ride, and more ground clearance.

Anyone know what the weight capacity is of this? Say I want to pull something, either in a trailer, or logs?

Has anyone been successful at adding a suspension to this?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I got a customer that has two JD riders that he only tows with.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Have you looked at the Kawasaki Mule SX? MSRP for 7,000 and are very quiet. You can hold a conversation while riding., 401cc engine and CVT trans, 900 pound towing capacity and 450 pound bed capacity, very smooth ride as well.

Cadet John

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you looked at the Kawasaki Mule SX? MSRP for 7,000 and are very quiet. You can hold a conversation while riding., 401cc engine and CVT trans, 900 pound towing capacity and 450 pound bed capacity, very smooth ride as well.
I will probably upgrade to something like that, but the ryobi actually fits a specific need I have.

Small- size is of a concern
quiet
not gas

For instance I have a walking problem but can work and walk short distances. Yet live on 10 acres and have yard work and such.