Repairs Turned mower on side, now won' t run

billinsd

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda GCV 160 mower and last week I tilted it to work on a front wheel. It was almost out of gas

Today I filled it full of gas and it would not start. I checked the spark plug and am getting a spark. The spark plug was also wet with gas. Also, the muffler and air filter were saturated with gas.

Is the reason it was not starting, because the air filter is saturated with gas or because the muffler was? I plan to replace the spark plug and air filter. What else should I do? Thanks Bill

Threads
It sounds like you tipped the mower so the air filter is DOWN, which is a definite no-no!! You should ALWAYS tip it so the air filter is facing up! That is the reason it won't start, because the air filter is saturated, and no air can get in.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
The last poster is right - if the air filter is saturated, the air and fuel mixture will be too rich (like it is on full choke) there may also be oil up in places it should not be and will need to flow back down or be pushed out with engine cranking.

A new filter (may not need new filter if it will dry out) and a clean plug should solve the problem. Try starting without the choke on first.

billinsd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, it was the air filter.

I created a bigger problem by taking the air cleaner and carburator off of the engine. I could not figure out how to put it back together properly and destroyed the gaskets.

I have a Honda GCV160 Mower and cannot find any good skematics on putting it back together.

I figure I need to buy new gaskets to put it back together, or should I take it to a mower shop? I could put it back together if I could see a diagram of how it goes back together.

Thanks
Bill

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Am not sure what you want to put back is it carb or gaskets..?

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 27

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Air filter

Attachments

• Screenshot_5.jpg
    Screenshot_5.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 21

billinsd

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is what it looks like, thanks!

Tell me if this is right.

1) I put #5 air cleaner gasket on the back of the air cleaner, then
2) I put #13 carb gasket on the front of the carb, then
3) put the carb and air cleaner together, with the #5 and #13 gaskets between a metal plate that is not shown.
4) put #12 gasket on the back of the carb, then
5) put on the #14 plate, then
6) put #12 gasket on the other side of #14 plate, then
7) put the #10 insulator, then
8) the #11 gasket next to the engine port

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Engine side of carb...No12 making sure it's the right way round (see the little hole in it) then No26 plate then No12 again and making sure again its the right way round (see little hole) then No10 the right way up (see little hole in it) and then No11.