turf tiger charging problem

lugbolt

Threads
STT61V-27KA (FD750V kawasaki).

Start engine, amp meter on the panel shows charge. Tested via volt meter, 13.4vdc. Turn pto clutch on, amp meter shows discharge (slight), and dvom shows 12.6-12.7vdc. After using the mower for a good hour or so, it will die--battery dead. I ASSume the fuel pump and other electrical components are pulling the battery down faster than it can recharge.

I suspect pto clutch is failing. Something smells of burning electrical after running a while, like a burnt up electric motor (I'm sure some of y'all know that smell). PTO clutch is real hot to the touch (and from my experience they usually get kinda warm). So on a hunch, I recharged battery and then with the engine off I did an amp draw test. Key on, pto clutch OFF (disconnected) it draws just over 1A. PTO clutch on, it draws 15A, so the pto clutch is pulling approx 14A. Resistance test on a cold clutch shows 0.5 ohm (IIRC should be about 2.5 to 3.0 ohm??). Resistance test from the pto clutch leads to ground is infinity on both leads. DVOM and test lead resistance 0.0 ohm.

Sound like a bad clutch? Windings shorted together internally I assume?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull it off and have a good look at it
Frayed wires or corrosion particularly at the plug or where the wires go into the clutch.

lugbolt

Threads
there's no plug on the pto clutch. There is a pig tail, that has a connector (2p) and it looks fine. The wires going into the clutch also look fine, no damage no signs of burning etc.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unplug the clutch and turn on the blades to confirm that the problem is in the clutch & not the wiring
You can also try jumping the PTO switch at the switch socket to eliminate the switch from the equation.

lugbolt

Threads
yup unplugged clutch, it is all working normally.

however the voltage regulator draws the battery down. It goes down in about 4 days sitting. Unplugged regulator, charged battery, left everything else connected-and battery has stayed at 12.65v since, a little less than 2 weeks.

So it looks like I have two separate issues. R/R and PTO clutch.

Thanks.