Tuff torq/Kanzaki KTM10M issues

Swederic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I have a Kanzaki KTM10M front transmission on my 4wd lawn mower.
I bought it knowing that the front transmission wasn't working for some reason.

I have now disassembled the whole unit but can't really understand how this unit ever has been working.

At the picture below I have marked the parts that I don't really understand.

If I mount everything according to the picture below, the splines on the motor shaft (green) places right in the middle in the cylinder block (yellow).
The thing is that the cylinder block (yellow) only has splines like 10-15 mm in the beginning and 10-15 mm in the end. In the center no splines.
This means that the motor shaft/axle (green) can rotate freely inside the cylinder block.

In my mind it is impossible for it to work this way but the motor shaft/axle (green) and cylinder block (yellow) looks like new. No damages whatsoever.

Any ideas?

Trans.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What don't you understand ?
looks like every other hydro drive I have seen
The piston chest ( yellow bit ) should be splined onto the shaft 43
The piston assembly ( other bits numbered 38 ) push against the swash plate # 36 which cause the housing ( yellow to spin ) depending which way the oil is flowing

Swederic

Forum Newbie
Threads
What don't you understand ?
looks like every other hydro drive I have seen
The piston chest ( yellow bit ) should be splined onto the shaft 43
The piston assembly ( other bits numbered 38 ) push against the swash plate # 36 which cause the housing ( yellow to spin ) depending which way the oil is flowing
Absolutely, I understand how it should work, but the problem is that the shaft rotates freely inside the piston chest. The piston chest is not splined all the way through, just 10-15 mm in both ends.

The splined part of the shaft ends up right in the middle of the piston chest (the part where there is no splines).

Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Somewhere there would be a release deal so you can push the tractor, something has to move to disengage. Take a look from that angle?

Swederic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Somewhere there would be a release deal so you can push the tractor, something has to move to disengage. Take a look from that angle?

No, the problem is still that the splined part on the shaft doesn't line up with the splined part in the piston chest.

Swederic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Video describing the issue

More pictures

Splines not all the way through
IMG_0414.jpg

Here is the shaft mounted in the right position, and the splines ends up right in the middle of the piston head (where there is no splines)
IMG_0412.jpg

Should look something like this
IMG_0413.jpg

sarg13

Threads
Hi, i am a recently joined member….I have a tuff torq ktm10lb, front transmission in an AWD husqvarna that has started making noises like gear or spline slippage if you accelerate quick in either forward or reverse direction from stationary position, your post is the only one I have found that may be a possibility. Did you find what caused your issue, any info would be great.
thanks…..