Trying to fix a Worx WA0032 24v mower battery

ilyaz

Threads
Curb find. Previous owner said the battery worked for 4 years, then died. After charging it overnight, I see the the volt readings shown in the photos. So about 13v on both sides, but I can't get a reliable reading on the output connectors. The battery test shows it's fully charged.

I am a newbie so might be doing it all wrong, but in any case, how do I figure out what's wrong with the battery and what's the easiest and cheapest way to repair it? A new one costs ~$200 so not an option.

Thank you!b1.jpgb2.jpgb3.jpgb4.jpgb5.jpg

MowerMike

Threads
Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If those are lithium ion batteries, don't try to repair them. Don't even try to mess with them. They like to go nuclear if they short out or are damaged. Think very hot fire that may be hard to put out.

MowerMike

Threads
If those are lithium ion batteries, don't try to repair them. Don't even try to mess with them. They like to go nuclear if they short out or are damaged. Think very hot fire that may be hard to put out.

Those are SLA batteries, not lithium ion. They can leak acid, but not catch fire.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless you remove the small black and red wires from the battery and clean all the connections, you are not going to get good readings. Second, I don’t know what that part, labeled 100, is or if it will give you a false reading. It may be a diode, which you can test to see if it is good. I do agree that the batteries may be junk, but at the price of new ones I would want to be sure of my decision before replacing.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
13 volts on each battery in series would give you 26 volts output. You are only testing one battery. But you would need to find the ampere hours rating on those batteries and buy a couple new ones, not necessarily the Worx brand. SLA batteries on Ebay are pretty reasonable and I've had good luck with them in various uses.

MowerMike

Threads
Unless you remove the small black and red wires from the battery and clean all the connections, you are not going to get good readings. Second, I don’t know what that part, labeled 100, is or if it will give you a false reading. It may be a diode, which you can test to see if it is good. I do agree that the batteries may be junk, but at the price of new ones I would want to be sure of my decision before replacing.

Roger that. That is a fuse, so if it is blown the voltage at the connector will be zero. It is not required, so the wire can be be directly connected to the battery terminal.

MowerMike

Threads
13 volts on each battery in series would give you 26 volts output. You are only testing one battery. But you would need to find the ampere hours rating on those batteries and buy a couple new ones, not necessarily the Worx brand. SLA batteries on Ebay are pretty reasonable and I've had good luck with them in various uses.

The fully charged voltage should be 15% above the nominal voltage, or 2 x 12v x 1.15 = 27.6v. So, neither of those batteries is good. WORX does not sell the individual batteries, just the completely assembly. They are 17ah, but 22ah gel cell batteries will fit.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could be low voltage and resulting high current blew the fuse? Those are pretty powerful batteries for the size I'm thinking.

MowerMike

Threads
Could be low voltage and resulting high current blew the fuse? Those are pretty powerful batteries for the size I'm thinking.

Not sure how that could occur. The purpose of the fuse is to protect against a short circuit or ground fault in the mower. It also protects against the mower connectors somehow getting shorted. All WORX SLA batteries have them.