Trying to decide between 2 21" mowers.

DarkShadow04

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone. I am trying to decide between 2 different mower lines. The Honda HRX and the Toro Super Recycler. I am torn between these 2. Nobody really has anything bad to say about either one.

I currently have an 8 year old Honda HRR216. I have hated it for years. The cut is terrible, and it started rod-knocking part way though the last season despite me changing the oil every year and spark plug and filter every other. I just filled it with thicker oil and kept on mowing.

In my quest to find its successor, the best recommendations are the Honda HRX and the Toro Super Recycler. I really want one with a blade stop/blade brake as I have dogs and kids and it would be nice to not have to rip the cord each time I stop to pick up a dog toy or kid toy, or empty the clipping bag. Which leads to my dilemma. My yard is small, but we have several large, mature trees that dump leaves like crazy in the fall. I like the more powerful 200cc engine in the Honda to deal with the volume of leaves to bag each fall, but by past experience with my current mower makes me hesitant. On the other hand, it seems like Toro is all over the place when it comes to engines. 163cc's in some 190cc's in others, but the bigger engine isn't the one with the blade stop, but it possibly has a more consistent cut.

Any guidance or experience with either of these would be appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Disclaimer: I’ve been selling and servicing Toro’s for 40+ years, so I’m a little biased. I would highly recommend a Toro model 21563 over model 21389, mainly because I like the handle setup better. As a service tech I also feel that the Toro units are easier to service than the Honda.
I will say Honda makes a good unit and others here will say Honda is better, but I have always said go Toro and don’t look back. Your past experience may prove my case. I’ve included site for model comparison, plus read my signature please.

DarkShadow04

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would highly recommend a Toro model 21563
That was the one I was looking at when I made the post actually. It also appears as though its the 2022 model, so that is a plus as well. Do dealers have a "test drive" program? It, doesn't need to be the top-of-the-line model, but maybe just a Super Recycler with the same engine I can try out before I plop down $800 on a mower. Now not obviously, since there is snow on the ground...but in spring.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some dealers do and some don’t. You’ll have to ask the dealer in your area.