Trying to decide…help!!

Oscar_Overalls

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello folks, I’m new here and I’m fixing to invest in a ZTR in next couple weeks or so and I’m torn between a couple makes/models and wanted pros, cons, and advice. I originally wanted a Dixie Chopper but have been looking at a couple others also. I’m mowing around 5 acres around my house with minimal trees. Right now I’m really liking the Ferris ISX800 with the B&S commercial 27hp and 61” deck for $9045 or a Spartan RZ-HD with Kawi FR730V with 61” deck and upgraded 3” adjustable seat for $7900. I drove the Ferris and it seems pretty darn nice…to the point of pretty much writing off the Dixie Chopper Blackhawk HP I originally wanted that was $9602. I have not yet tested the Spartan but plan too this weekend, but have heard pretty good stuff about them. Just not sure the $1145 extra for the Ferris is worth it. What’s everyone’s thoughts on these mowers and the engines they come with. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The major drawback to the Spartan would be the keypad start system.
Ferris makes good products but, it’s a Briggs and Stratton product and parts are extremely hard to get.
Look at some other brands and take notes.
Hustler
Big Dog
Toro
Gravely
Bad Boy
Scag

RayMcD

Threads
I would just add, think about the maintenance that goes with a ZTR. Might consider a deck that raises so deck service, blade sharpening are easier or you'll need a jack or you'll either have it picked up or be able to haul it yourself. My yard is 1.5 acre, cut it for years with a 38" rider. Moved up to a 48" BobCat CRZ, never look back, cut my mowing time to nearly nothing but it is little more time to maintain the machine properly. How do you plan to sharpen and balance blades, little more picky than the old rider. Anywho, good luck on your choice. For what it's worth, you can't run fast enough to put me in front of a B&S engine, Cheers, Ray

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would just add, think about the maintenance that goes with a ZTR. Might consider a deck that raises so deck service, blade sharpening are easier or you'll need a jack or you'll either have it picked up or be able to haul it yourself. My yard is 1.5 acre, cut it for years with a 38" rider. Moved up to a 48" BobCat CRZ, never look back, cut my mowing time to nearly nothing but it is little more time to maintain the machine properly. How do you plan to sharpen and balance blades, little more picky than the old rider. Anywho, good luck on your choice. For what it's worth, you can't run fast enough to put me in front of a B&S engine, Cheers, Ray
I know a lot of people that "thought" they needed a 0-turn. Come to find out, when it breaks, they don't have the money to have a mower shop come pick it up. "Aren't they like push mowers to fix" LOL.

For big yards like 3+ acres, I would get a tractor. Much more reliable than any 0-turn.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree, the larger the 0-turn is the more maintenance you have.

DK35vince

Threads
I agree, the larger the 0-turn is the more maintenance you have.
Why ??
Larger zero turns generally gets you into commercial grade engines, commercial grade transmissions, much heavy built frames and decks, Etc. Etc.
My experience is they are lower maintenance, no higher than the smaller/lighter built residential models

bkeller500

Threads
I don't see where a ZT is more maintenance than a lawn tractor. Possibly he may be correct on the entry level residential units as they tend to be lighter construction and generally have fewer lubrication points. I guess you have more vulnerability because you have 2-hydros instead of 1, could be a reason. But I found the steering pivots on conventional riders more prone to wear ( not including power steering models) where that is eliminated with a ZT. I have had several of each and I don't see much difference as far as upkeep and maintenance. I think the big determining factor in choosing one or the other is the need for better traction on hills and slopes. And of course the ease of trimming around landscapes and trees. Each property has different requirements and a on-site demo ( if a dealer will do that any more) may be the best way to determine what style works best. For 5 acres a ZT is likely to be faster because of the turning at the end of the runs. another consideration is if a property is also going to require the towing of a sprayer, wagon, sweeper, spreader, roller, aerator or any heavy pulling.

Oscar_Overalls

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know a lot of people that "thought" they needed a 0-turn. Come to find out, when it breaks, they don't have the money to have a mower shop come pick it up. "Aren't they like push mowers to fix" LOL.

For big yards like 3+ acres, I would get a tractor. Much more reliable than any 0-turn.

Oscar_Overalls

Forum Newbie
Threads
I already have a Massey Ferguson tractor as well as a trailer to haul a zero turn. I have 14 acres and used to only mow and manicure 2 acres on my husqavarna lawn tractor which finally crapped out on me after 13 years. I want to start keeping at least 5 acres fertilized and manicured up nice which is my justification for the zero turn. I’m pretty mechanically inclined as far as basic maintenance, belt changes and such go and have even replaced an engine on my first ever rider which was an old handle bar steer snapper….which had belonged to my grandfather and probably best mower I ever owned. Also, my choices I’ve narrowed down too are somewhat due to close proximity of dealers and word of mouth from friends as to what they use and why. Just thought I would ask some of you guys/professionals on here your opinions. Thanks for your replies

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tractor style mowers have 1 hydro drive which is between 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a ZTR hydro and most ZTR's have 2 of them
Better quality mowers will have 1 pump & 2 motors with a lot of plumbing
Then there are 2 sets of parking brakes and 2 sets of speed controls that you can go mad trying to adjust .

The big problem is finding the RIGHT mower for the topography & vegitation being cut
There is no absolute universal best what is perfect for you might be a PIA for me

What ever you buy today is will only be 1/2 as durable as what you bought 13 years ago
Slowly my customers are working out that in most cases they would have been better off paying me to keep their old banger running that forking out for the rubbish on offer at retail level now days, and the commercials are not all that much better .
I serviced & sold a couple of Great Dane chariots for one of my customers and he ended up buying one of them back because it did a better job on HIS jobs than the brand new Torro Titans that replaced it .

If possible try to get a demo, even if you have to pay for it .
Better to spend a couple of hundred to find out the mower is unsuitable for your purpose than spending a few grand to come to the same conclusion .
Some contractors will allow you to drive their equipment for this purpose , provided they are paid their usual hourly rate