TroyBilt Bronco - Not starting, new solenoid/coil

TN_Buddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Put up last year after use, put battery on tender, just like the rest. Went to start it this year, nothing, no click, no noise, nothing.

Pulls out multimeter, tests battery, shows 11.75, but won't roll over the mower.

Ordered new solenoid, not 100% sure I wired it right because there was a 2month separation (no pictures) but i made a couple reference marks, just forgot what they meant...

So i hooked up a jump start battery machine, put it on engine start, and hit the key, it cranks over just fine....

That makes me think I have the wiring correct, but leads me to believe, all this because of a weak-ish battery...

So my question is... what do you think?

I could post a picture, but this forum has some weak ass limits on image sizes... 2mb... good luck taking a 2mb pic with a current-day camera anyway..

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before blaming a bad battery go through all connections, making sure they are clean and tight. After that have someone turn the key to the start position while you are taking a voltage reading across the battery terminals. If the voltage drops below 9V bad battery. If it doesn’t drop you have a bad connection somewhere.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I going to assume you know absolutely nothing about electrical wiring so it is probably useless to ask for the equipment make and model number. As said it might not even be the battery but can you wiring. a bad starter, valves out adjustment, or just plain bad connections.

Btw don't being bad mouthing the site we users that have limited viewing capabilities. Even the site I manage has a 600 x 600 dpi max limits for viewing with older smart phones. Just take the time and resize your pics and they need in Jpeg format. Also clean up your language as this is an open forum with the public viewing it including kids.

Last edited:

TN_Buddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tested switch, battery to solenoid is good. wiring harness is good, clean, in tact. fuse is not blown, checked 2 times. mower is only 3 years old, original battery, I'm guessing that it may be charged, but not able to discharge under load (when starting)??

Either way, taking battery to store to test, we'll see.

TN_Buddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
So... new battery, but now the solenoid is rapidly clicking when key is turned to start... is there a chance the new solenoid is bad? could put old one on and test (may do that anyway) but I'm wondering if the 2 single plug wires are reversed, simpler, will try that first...

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Rapid clicking is usually a faulty battery, or a bad, loose connection.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Depending on how long the new battery was sitting before it got to you it may need to be charged. Do you have a voltmeter? Also, check and clean both ends of the battery ground wire and both ends of the battery positive wire.