Troy-Built Pony 42 Ignition switch install

quiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
I lost my key on my 2020 Troy-Built Pony 42 riding lawn mower. The advice I received was to bring in the ignition switch. I tried to keep track of how it was put together as I took the ignition switch apart. I was able to return with a key that worked in the switch portion. The switch came apart rather easily but upon assemble I obviously did not pay close enough attention and was unsure about putting it back together correctly. My question is there are four basic parts. A spring that fits in the center portion a circular plastic piece with three legs on one side, while the other side has a copper band that is about 1/3 around the edge. My question with this piece is where do I position this piece, it has three different locations relative to the on off portion of the ignition switch. The copper band connects with the fourth piece of the switch that plugs into the back of the ignition switch containes the wiring portion of the switch. This piece seems to attach in only one position and is almost triangular shaped in on the back with two "tabs" or ears that point up. With a larger tap pointing down. After assembly in the postition I presumed was correct turning the switch had zero effect. I obviously have to check the starter fuse under the battery? to confirm it is good yet, it had zero issues when I parked it. Though it is possible I blew the fuse upon assembly of the switch. I included a picture of what the idnition switch looks like.

Attachments

• OIP (1).jpg
    OIP (1).jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While I do not condone gun violence in this case I would have no objection to you turning who ever told you to dissasemble the switch into dog meat
There is only 1 key for that switch, about $ 1.50 from every mower repair shop in the country.
AFAIK it can not be pulled apart & reassembled as you have just found out

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Considering how big of a headache these are to get back together correctly without losing any parts you are now better off just buying an Oregon 33-105 (Delta 6900-47) ignition switch and replace the one in the module; although, many shops will push to sell the whole module. The switch lists for about 24 usd. Now the whole 925-06119C module is about 84 usd.

And as Bert said the key is dirt cheap and is very common used.

quiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
thank you for the responses. I just wish I had remembered the value of a little patience and more complete study before I did such a stupid thing as it would indeed have been a lot better to wait a bit and actually check more sources before action.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
BTW the following the OHM out chart for a working correctly switch.
1655441371733.png
OFF, REVERSE, RUN, and START positions.