Troy-Bilt with Kohler Courage Sv601 Engine

rocky4

Threads
I just found something that may help some one. I have a Troy-Bilt with a Kohler Courage SV601,20Hp engine. The mower started just fine and ran ok
until it heated up, then it started shutting down. You could use the choke and it would keep trying to run and finally just stop all together. You could restart
but it would quit again. Its as though its not getting any fuel. I went through cleaning everything starting with fuel tank to carburetor. Nothing helped.
I next connected a spark checker in series with spark plug cable to check spark. Started engine and noticed spark was breaking up. Not a constant, solid
spark. I found that the spark plug cable was not making a tight connection when you push it onto the spark plug. I tried to close the cap in cable but could not
get it to connect tight. I had a piece of round copper that I could form on to spark plug top so it would be a larger area to plug into the cable giving tighter fit.
This solved my problem, so if you have this problem, first check spark with spark tester and then check how tight the cable is on spark plug.
This would lead you to believe the magnito was bad. Save some money.