Troy Bilt Tuff Cut 210 Auto Choke not working

dfranks11

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi eveyone,
I have a Troy Bilt Tuff Cut 210 walk behind self propelled mower. It has a Briggs and Straton Quantum engine and believe it's 189.7cc. I'm trying to learn how the auto choke works so I can fix it
Model is 12A-566N063 serial 1D223K112238 There is also a number on the engine 125K02-0243-E1 03041158
The mower has been working with no issue for years. My wife was cutting a small hill, ran it out of gas. I refilled the gas and it would not start. I put my spark tester on it and I am getting spark, cleaned the air filter and changed the spark plug. But still the same issue, I can prime using the bulb and it will start and run for just a couple of seconds and then die. I took the top plastic housing off and I found if I pull the spring back on the auto choke manually all the way it starts and runs at a low speed. I can then release the spring and it comes up to operating speed and then works fine. After that I can start it with no issues till the next day. I can see where a 'thin rod' on the auto choke goes back inside the motor somewhere but can't see where it goes or how to get to it. I haven't been able to find any information about this when searching the internet but came across this site. Can anyone help me out with this?? Thanks in advance for any help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m confused, as I don’t ever remember see a Briggs carb with a primer and an AutoChoke system together. According to the model number you posted, your engine with be set up one of three ways. Choke System, Primer System or AutoChoke System. Can you take a couple of pictures of what you are talking about and enlighten me.

dfranks11

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the quick reply. I have attached a few pics and you should be able to see what I am referring to. Let me know if you need additional pics.IMG_5175_resize.jpgIMG_5175_resize.jpgIMG_5176_resize.jpgIMG_5181_resize.jpgIMG_5181_resize.jpgIMG_5176_resize.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok, simple fix, now that I see what you have. First, what you are talking about as an AutoChoke is actually the governor linkage attached to the throttle. Here’s the fix. Start the engine, have your wife hold the bail down to stay running. I know you say it will only idle. With a needle nose pliers grab that hole where the spring is attached and SLOWLY pull out, you should hear the engine speed increase. Continue pulling until you get a smooth even speed, as I know you don’t have a tach to read the RPMs. Once you get to a good speed your done. If it sounds to slow, pull more. Too fast push in. I’m guessing that the cause of the problem was probably that you have some bushes to mow under and around, and over time hitting this control caused the engine slowed down but you never noticed it.

dfranks11

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I understand what you are saying but I don't think you quite understand my situation but close. Since you told me it was the governor/throttle control (not the auto choke) I looked into that and found a video on a similar model .
So in the video the throttle control moves easily back and forth but mine is frozen. I think this is why I had to remove the spring in order to adjust the governor. I have managed to get it loosened up to where I can move it by hand but not enough to where the spring tension actually can move it. I've attached a pic and circled what I believe is the throttle control which was frozen but can now move by hand. Am I close in understanding the problem? Any thoughts on resolving this?? Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_5182[1].jpg
    IMG_5182[1].jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 6

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are confusing Delicious apples with crab apples. Both are red, but don’t taste the same. You have what is called a fixed throttle, meaning it runs at a preset RPMs. The video is using a variable throttle, meaning you can change the RPMs. To set your speed, you use the procedure I posted.