Troy-Bilt TBR30 doesn't move

GracieAllen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Manufactured in 03/2018, so we bought it some time after that - I BELIEVE April of 2018, but the domestic associate can't find the purchase paperwork.
Model 13CC26JD011 (I don't know if those are ones, or "I"s or some combination
Serial 1C138B20424 (same here whether ones, "I", "O"s or zeros..

When we went looking for a small riding mower we read a lot of reviews... And were convinced it was worth spending the money on a Troy-Bilt lawn mower. I presume they must be a good company, though I"d be hard-pressed to believe it so far...

We live in Minnesota, so there's not a lot of lawn mowing. But even here we periodically have to go out and mow. Small yard, no hills, no nothin' weird or problematic.

Used the mower last week. Worked fine. Moved, mowed grass, blade spun, all the normal stuff.

Went out to mow this morning. Did exactly the same thing we do every time… Rolled it out of the shed. Checked the oil. Put in some gas, started it. Put it in forward, pushed in the foot pedal and put it in a gear…

And got NOTHING. Runs, does not move.
Changed gears, nothing.
Changed to reverse, nothing.
Shut it off. Started it again. Repeated everything. Nothing.

Tried to turn on the blade... It bogged down and didn't sound like it was spinning the blade...

Can’t find a useful manual online, so I have no real idea how any of the innards work on this thing.

Took the front cover off and the rods are still connected to the clutch/brake. And they move. The gear shift doesn't APPEAR to be connected to anything. It just moves a toothed piece against another piece. When you depress the clutch it moves. Essentially without having a clue, it LOOKS LIKE everything in the front end is there.

Put the rear end up in the air and took the rear wheels off so I could see at least a LITTLE bit. As near as I can tell there are NO MISSING belts. I can see idlers move when you push the clutch or when you attempt to engage the blade. There are belts there. I have no idea how many there should be, or much else and it's a *&^%$#@ nightmare under this thing. Whatever is going on does NOT appear to be obvious to the uninformed observer - that'd be me.

Went to a (the?) Troy-Bilt website hoping to find a great manual that would get me somewhere. No matter what I picked it just dumped me to another sales page. I never DID find any kind of service manual for this thing.

So, I CALLED the Troy-Bilt number. Waded through the robotic garbage and got put on hold… 11:32 CDT. Got to listen to incredibly annoying noise for 14 minutes and 49 seconds. At which time the music stopped. That’s it… Nothing. No person, no robot, no annoying music. Just a connected line that’s been sent to phone purgatory. Sat there another 20 minutes HOPING some live human would get on the phone, but no... Eventually, I hung up and called back.

Went through the same thing, eventually got dumped on hold again. At 12:11 CDT.

It's now been ANOTHER 37 minutes and 57 seconds on hold... And then dead again... No music, still connected, no human... Great support system.
And FWIW the whole "to hold your place in line and get a call back, press 5 or 9 or whatever it was" DOES NOT WORK. You can hit the key, but the robot is NOT going indicate that you'll get a call back.

Does Troy-Bilt customer service/technical support actually exist? And if so, do they ever actually answer a phone?

I've now wasted 3 hours and 9 minutes screwing with the mower and sitting on hold. And the domestic associate is giving me the stink eye and suggesting we may have made a HUGE mistake buying this thing...

Anybody have any USEFUL ideas how to get this thing working? Preferably WITHOUT having to haul it 50 miles to someplace that can service it and leave it for some indeterminate amount of time.

And is there a link that'll get me to a useful manual?

GracieAllen

Forum Newbie
Threads
If I could FIND a manual on the Troy-bilt site that has instructions on replacing the drive belt(s), I'd have one. So, if you know where it is a link would be useful.

GracieAllen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower is "fixed"... I found an answer in a different place. It appears that if you go out and mow, finish, shut off the blade, throw it in a high gear to drive back to the shed, then stop at the shed, put it in neutral, shut it off and roll it in, the next time you go out to mow, start it, put it in reverse and 1st gear IT MAY NOT MOVE...

Swell.

Unfortunately they didn't mention these little "quirks" in all those glowing reviews.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads