Troy-bilt TB30R oil drain plug wrench size?

bdcs64

Forum Newbie
Threads
What size and type of wrench should be used on the somewhat tapered square head oil drain plug on the Troy-bilt TB30R?

IMG-3146.jpg

A half inch socket (12 point) seems close but, I afraid I'm going to round it off.

Would an 6 or 8 point socket be better?

Or a crowfoot type?

Has anyone had any luck easily removing it?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Believe it or not they make special square holed wrenches specifically for removing sump plugs and they are sold at most auto stores.
Secondly you had your maths right the first time a 12 pointed ring will fit, but it has to be a good quality one and it has to go right up hard against the threaded region or it will do exactly s you feared.
4 does not divide into 6 so a flat side drive ( impact ) will not fit.
1/2" is correct an open ender will do fine, the drain plug is not done up all that tight.

In the long run you will be much happier with an extended drain hose with a spring loaded bayonette fitting on the end so you cad forget about wrenches after it is installed and forget about burning your fingers on the hot engine or covering the engine with hot oil.
There are a couple of types but the ones with the valve on the free end are the best
The ones with a cap are the easiest to use but you really need to have the draining end clipped tight against the mower and higher than the level of the sump
The one Kohler fitted as standard with the valve near the plug can be awkward to get at.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a set of double box (8 side) sockets, 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2” which fit the different size drain plugs. Normally available are Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

bdcs64

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for advice.

I ordered a Drainzit plug/hose to make changing oil easier in the future.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
thanks for advice.

I ordered a Drainzit plug/hose to make changing oil easier in the future.

You will be glad you did.
When you get it fitted please come back & post another picture so others can see what they are like when fitted.
Thanks.

bdcs64

Forum Newbie
Threads
IMG_3362.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PDN3H...olid=283T02FEL7CTB&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

In the end I used a Gator Grip Universal Socket on the original plug, and that worked fine.

It was a pain to drain oil with the drain "chute" that came with the mower. Be prepared for a mess. I can't imagine going through that every oil change. :thumbdown:
If I had to do over I would pump/siphon the oil out instead and then switch the oil plug out.

Should be all good moving forward with this Drainzit Oil Changing Drain Port.

JDK397

Forum Newbie
Threads
The drain plug on my lawnmower is in a tight spot. The 1/2" drive end of a 1/2" x 3/8" ratchet-socket adapter fit nicely on the 1/2" square drain plug. Then I used a 3/8" socket extension bar on the 1/2" adapter to extend it out beyond the engine and a pair of vice grips to grab the extension bar. Was able to remove plug without rounding corners.

Attachments

• 100_1518.JPG
    100_1518.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 9