Troy Bilt pony vs junior tiller

fox5flyer

Threads
A friend has a Troy Bilt tiller he bought brand new and hasn't used in about ten years and hasn't been started or moved. He claimed it was a Pony, and it is in his unlocked garden shed and he's down state and told me to just go take a look at it. It was pretty dirty and I soon found it was a Junior, not a Pony. What is the difference between the two and what should I be considering to check before I buy. He's asking $200. I need to go through some lawn sod before I can actually do any serious tilling for a garden.
Appreciate any advice.
Deke
NE Michigan

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check gear oil level in transmission, inspect all seals for evidence of leaking, axles & engine front & rear crankshaft seals.
Check engine oil level & see if engine turns over. Drain old gas from tank & inspect inside for rust etc. Inspect spark plug, air & fuel filters for replacement. If carburetor has bowl, remove & clean with carb. cleaner. If inside of gas tank is clean add some fresh gas, enough to check running operation. After engine warms up, change engine oil to specs. in Operators Manual. Post Model & Serial #'s from Tiller & all Engine information, thanks, Mark

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
A friend has a Troy Bilt tiller he bought brand new and hasn't used in about ten years and hasn't been started or moved. He claimed it was a Pony, and it is in his unlocked garden shed and he's down state and told me to just go take a look at it. It was pretty dirty and I soon found it was a Junior, not a Pony. What is the difference between the two and what should I be considering to check before I buy. He's asking $200. I need to go through some lawn sod before I can actually do any serious tilling for a garden.
Appreciate any advice.
Deke
NE Michigan
Look at how you move the tiller when it is not running, or if you can. See if you have to take the pins out of the wheel/shafts to free wheel, and see if you still can.