Troy-Bilt Pony Stops Moving

terryriv

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a TroyBilt Pony that was Purchased in 2011. It was running great and the engine still is, but noticed that it started to slow down and then stop moving while mowing. The issue would start after the mower has been running for 15 mins or so, and if I press the pedal and release it would "take off" again and I could mow for a little while. I notice that over time it was getting worse to the point where pressing and releasing the pedal did nothing, but there is no hesitation in the engine at all. Also I have a few extra pounds on me, and if someone who is lighter gets on the issue doesn't seem to show as much.

So far we have replaced the belts, and have also taken the transmission apart, checked the gears and re-greased as it was a little dry. The issue after this has gotten better, but it's still there.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked the drive idler tensioner arm and pulleys. The arm may not be traveling far enough to keep tension on the belt or the pulleys may be bad, bearings tightening up when they get hot. At 11 years old I suspect bad pulleys, if they’ve never been replaced.

terryriv

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you checked the drive idler tensioner arm and pulleys. The arm may not be traveling far enough to keep tension on the belt or the pulleys may be bad, bearings tightening up when they get hot. At 11 years old I suspect bad pulleys, if they’ve never been replaced.
Thanks for the reply! We looked over those and didn't see anything bad but the pulleys have not been changed, and maybe that is what I am going to do. It definitely has less of the issue cold than after it runs for a little while.

gainestruk

Threads
Also check the 2 drive belts, long one from engine to transmission and short one on drive pulley, if you haven't changed them in a long time they are worn and stretched.
To change them loosen bolts on outside frame so toy can move pulleys enough to slip belts on, otherwise it's almost impossible to slip belts between frame and the two pulleys.
I have a 2013 Bronco with same stup.
Look at transmission area there are 2 bolts you can loosen one on each side si you can move pulleys enough to slip belts on.

terryriv

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also check the 2 drive belts, long one from engine to transmission and short one on drive pulley, if you haven't changed them in a long time they are worn and stretched.
To change them loosen bolts on outside frame so toy can move pulleys enough to slip belts on, otherwise it's almost impossible to slip belts between frame and the two pulleys.
I have a 2013 Bronco with same stup.
Look at transmission area there are 2 bolts you can loosen one on each side si you can move pulleys enough to slip belts on.
Thanks for the advise.. Yeah those are the belts that I just replaced and it works better that I can keep it moving if I keep hitting the pedal when it slows/stops where as it got to the point where that no longer worked, but it didn't solve the issue.

gainestruk

Threads
It must be a pulley or spring to a pulley, get the diagram online tip mower upright sitting on seat and back pan (take a piece of cellophane wrap over gas tank and carefully put cap on not tearing it) that way you can see aa the pulleys, it might help finding trouble.
Let it sit awhile to get oil back in sump, don't start till it does, it's possible to get some in cylinder, if so take plug out and use starter till you get it all out.

HoustonDave

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a TroyBilt Pony that was Purchased in 2011. It was running great and the engine still is, but noticed that it started to slow down and then stop moving while mowing. The issue would start after the mower has been running for 15 mins or so, and if I press the pedal and release it would "take off" again and I could mow for a little while. I notice that over time it was getting worse to the point where pressing and releasing the pedal did nothing, but there is no hesitation in the engine at all. Also I have a few extra pounds on me, and if someone who is lighter gets on the issue doesn't seem to show as much.

So far we have replaced the belts, and have also taken the transmission apart, checked the gears and re-greased as it was a little dry. The issue after this has gotten better, but it's still there.
The Pony may have the variable-pulley drive, and if so, sometimes the pulley sticks. Take off the deck and drive belt, then look up at the next belt - there are two pulleys. The rear one is supposed to vary in depth according to the gear you select, and if it is stuck the belt will just spin on the pulley. They do not recommend lubing it (I guess if you were super careful to do the shaft only maybe a silicone spray might work?) but the main thing is to get work that pulley half up and down the shaft until it operates smoothly. Reassemble the belt onto the pulley and see if your problem has gone away. On mine, going up a slope in 4th is would slow to a stop, but in 3rd would still move (albeit very slowly.) Once I did this service it has worked perfectly for weeks.

terryriv

Forum Newbie
Threads
We Replaced the Variable Pulley assembly, but it still shows some signs of the issue. The difference now is that it doesn't seem to happen without the blades engaged, and now when it does happen usually with the blades engaged it will try to start moving again in about 15-20 secs if I just wait, but movement is slower than before the issue starts to show..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have a close look at the drive pulley on the engine
If the bottom of the pulley is polished shinny then it has worn beyond use.
Sit down when you order one and hold your wallet tight.
Double check all the idlers for wear & free running
Make sure the engine mounting bolts are tight.

keakar

Threads

if you replaced both the drive belts then its either the pivot arm needs to be removed, cleaned up, and greased, then put it back together

if it moves free and easy after you undo the tensioner spring connected from the arm to the frame, then the spring must have gotten soft from being rusty so you need a new spring. that tension is what gives it traction

being a big guy shouldnt have any effect on its drive ability