Troubleshooting: engine won’t turn over, burning through solenoids?

Billylegend

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Troubleshooting: engine won’t turn over, burning through solenoids?
I have a Briggs & Stratton engine in my ~10 year old Craftsman riding mower (model 917.288561). Earlier this mowing season, I noticed the engine was progressively taking longer and longer to turn over, until one day I got no sounds or response from the engine at all when turning the key in the ignition. I finally got it to crank again by installing a new solenoid (I also replaced the battery and ignition switch on my way to isolating the solenoid as the problem). I was able to start the engine and mow a half dozen times, but the cranking at startup still ran very, very long.

Last weekend, I believe the new solenoid “died” - I heard a single click, but then turning the ignition (again) elicited no sounds or responses from the engine. I don’t know if it’s possible, but I wonder if I damaged the replacement solenoid with the excessive cranking. I had _another_ replacement solenoid lying around, so I installed it, and now I can again get to a cranking sound. But I feel like I’m not addressing the root cause here.

My next step is to purchase a sparkplug tester to see if (when turning the key) the ignition coils are sending spark to the sparkplugs or not (my engine has a pair of coils/wires/spark plugs), and maybe a feeler gauge to ensure the magnet is the right distance from the coil. I wonder if the ignition coils need adjusting or replacing. The spark plugs themselves are fairly new, I replace the plugs and all filters when I change the oil every spring.

My question is: does this (sparkplug tester and feeler gauge) seem like a reasonable next troubleshooting step? Am I missing anything?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would start by making sure the choke is closing all the way. doesn't take much from complete closing to cause long crank issues.

Billylegend

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your reply. I’ve never replaced the carb on this riding mower...can the choke wear out over time? If it’s not closing completely, and I don’t see anything obviously wrong with the linkage from the choke lever to the choke on the carb, is it time to replace the carb?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You don''t say if you have a single throttle/choke control or separate controls. One the single control the cable has been known to slip over time and then not allow the choke to close all the way. I would apply the choke and then look into the carb opening to see if it is closed all the way.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The cable slips under the clamp
So you loosen the cable clamp, turn the choke on fully then close the choke with your finger and tighten the cable clamp again.

Billylegend

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is a single throttle/choke control, and you both were right! I loosened the clamp, held the choke closed with my finger, and re-tightened the clamp. Started right up on the next turn of the key, like it was brand new. I haven’t driven it yet, but I will this weekend. Thanks so much to you both!!!

Jpow

Threads
I have a Briggs & Stratton engine in my ~10 year old Craftsman riding mower (model 917.288561). Earlier this mowing season, I noticed the engine was progressively taking longer and longer to turn over, until one day I got no sounds or response from the engine at all when turning the key in the ignition. I finally got it to crank again by installing a new solenoid (I also replaced the battery and ignition switch on my way to isolating the solenoid as the problem). I was able to start the engine and mow a half dozen times, but the cranking at startup still ran very, very long.

Last weekend, I believe the new solenoid “died” - I heard a single click, but then turning the ignition (again) elicited no sounds or responses from the engine. I don’t know if it’s possible, but I wonder if I damaged the replacement solenoid with the excessive cranking. I had _another_ replacement solenoid lying around, so I installed it, and now I can again get to a cranking sound. But I feel like I’m not addressing the root cause here.

My next step is to purchase a sparkplug tester to see if (when turning the key) the ignition coils are sending spark to the sparkplugs or not (my engine has a pair of coils/wires/spark plugs), and maybe a feeler gauge to ensure the magnet is the right distance from the coil. I wonder if the ignition coils need adjusting or replacing. The spark plugs themselves are fairly new, I replace the plugs and all filters when I change the oil every spring.

My question is: does this (sparkplug tester and feeler gauge) seem like a reasonable next troubleshooting step? Am I missing anything?

Was having the exact same challenges - the only way I could get it to start was with starter fluid. Changed, fuel, filter, plugs, cleaned carb and replaced solenoid to no avail. Finally, removed solenoid, clipped off plunger, installed fuel shut off valve after carb and presto! Starts and runs like a champ, every time!

Billylegend

Forum Newbie
Threads
Unfortunately after a few months with no problems (maybe around a half dozen uses) I was in the middle of a job today and the mower just wouldn’t start again. LCD display shows me the battery is still working, but no sounds when the key is turned (new starter). Somehow I probably burnt another solenoid. Thanks to the fix suggested above (adjusting the throttle/choke cable), I wasn’t having long cranking times anymore, so I’m not really sure how it happened. I’ll get a replacement solenoid on Monday to try and swap it out, and update this post. Any suggestions are appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before you start replacing parts willy nilly it is a good idea to work out what is wrong first
Otherwise you are just urinating up a wall .
So first of all
Can you rotate the engine by pressing down on the fly wheel screen and turning
If not then you need to look at the valve lash
Does the engine crank if you take the spark plug out ?
If you bridge the cables on the solenoid does the engine crank ?
If you bridge from the battery cable to the trigger wire on the solenoid does it crank ?

Billylegend

Forum Newbie
Threads
Before you start replacing parts willy nilly it is a good idea to work out what is wrong first
Otherwise you are just urinating up a wall .
So first of all
Can you rotate the engine by pressing down on the fly wheel screen and turning
If not then you need to look at the valve lash
Does the engine crank if you take the spark plug out ?
If you bridge the cables on the solenoid does the engine crank ?
If you bridge from the battery cable to the trigger wire on the solenoid does it crank ?
You are right, I need to be more systematic about it. Given the history of this problem with the two solenoids I’ve already replaced after swapping the battery, starter, etc, running all the multimeter tests - and facing the same symptom (key turn, LCD display but dead silence), I assumed it was the solenoid again. But you know what they say about assuming. I appreciate the list of things to check, and I will.

I have a couple questions please:
- is there a way to safely bridge the cables/posts on the solenoid? I’ve done it before with a screwdriver and there’s a pretty good spark
- bridging from the battery to the solenoid trigger wire - which wire is the trigger wire? I assume it’s not the hot wire coming from the battery or the wire leading back to the starter. It’s got to be one of the other two?
- do you want me to take both sparkplugs out? Alternate one and the other? this is a dumb question (sorry), but why/how would the engine crank without spark plugs?