Trouble shooting a no crank hydro 175

Pigletrma

Threads
Just got an old hydro175 in pretty good shape. Started right up, bowed strong and cut nice. Once. Second time, at first it made no sound when I turned the key. nothing. after trying a few times, it started right up again. No hesitation in cranking or firing. Then it threw a worn deck belt, and now I get nothing when I turn the key. Headlights come on, and if I move the blade engage switch, I can hear it clicking, but other than that , nothing. Any suggestions for how I might try to track this down? I tried (maybe not well) to bypass the ignition and short the solenoid/starter - only got the tiniest of spark, and still no crank. It has the Kawasaki engine, if that helps. Really appreciate any suggestions!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Run a jumper from the battery - to a good ground on the engine , like the lifting hooks.
Older mowers will often have battery cables that are rotted out inside the insulation.

Pigletrma

Threads
Run a jumper from the battery - to a good ground on the engine , like the lifting hooks.
Older mowers will often have battery cables that are rotted out inside the insulation.
Thanks! just a new ground connection?

Pigletrma

Threads
Just tried that. ran jumper from neg to engine. good clean connection. still no sound. tried running a positive from battery to solenoid. nothing. Solenoid?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Final battery check is to do the same with a known good battery
Engine cranks fine = duff battery

Pigletrma

Threads
Final battery check is to do the same with a known good battery
Engine cranks fine = duff battery
The battery is strong. I used one from another mower, and got the same no nothing.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1660649501921.png

D

Deleted member 97405

A few things on this model throughout the years that I found. The FIRST thing to check is that the brake linkage is pushing the brake switch all the way in. The switch is behind the plastic cowling below the battery. The linkage rod relaxes over time and doesnt push in the switch all the way. I usually just bend the linkage forward a bit so it pushes the switch. That has been the majority of my fixes. I've run into a few bad brake switches over the years as well. Another common issue I found is if the battery cable has corrosion up under the casing or in the terminal crimp. If all that looks good, run a hot wire from the battery to the spade terminal on the solenoid. Make sure your PTO is off because this will bypass any safety features! When you touch the wire to the terminal on the solenoid, she should crank no matter what the issue, unless your solenoid is bad. There is also a possibility that you're losing a little voltage through the aged switches and need to install a starter relay kit. They are simple to install. Reply back if any of this worked. Good luck!

Pigletrma

Threads
A few things on this model throughout the years that I found. The FIRST thing to check is that the brake linkage is pushing the brake switch all the way in. The switch is behind the plastic cowling below the battery. The linkage rod relaxes over time and doesnt push in the switch all the way. I usually just bend the linkage forward a bit so it pushes the switch. That has been the majority of my fixes. I've run into a few bad brake switches over the years as well. Another common issue I found is if the battery cable has corrosion up under the casing or in the terminal crimp. If all that looks good, run a hot wire from the battery to the spade terminal on the solenoid. Make sure your PTO is off because this will bypass any safety features! When you touch the wire to the terminal on the solenoid, she should crank no matter what the issue, unless your solenoid is bad. There is also a possibility that you're losing a little voltage through the aged switches and need to install a starter relay kit. They are simple to install. Reply back if any of this worked. Good luck!
Thank you! That is a very well thought out response. I will try then get back to you!

Pigletrma

Threads
Thank you again. I followed your advice and ended up being the solenoid. Super easy fix.