Trouble adjusting valve kawasaki fh661

nicksavage

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello and thank you for anyone that reads this.
I have a John Deere x324 with a kawasaki fh661 engine.
I am in no way a true mechanic but have did most work on my own equipment for 50 years.

My question is when I go to adjust my valves I hold the nut as always while turning the outer nut a little to loosen it. Then I adjust the inner nut and get my clearance. Now when I do that and hold the inner nut tight to tighten the outer nut and then recheck I have no clearance. I know the inner nut is not moving because I have did this a dozen times on this mower and even video taped it to see if it even moved slightly, which it does not.

Can anyone help me to figure out what I am doing wrong. Thank you.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Unless you're already doing it, I always leave the feeler gauge in the gap as I tighten the nut down.
It happened to me before on one mower, and leaving the gauge in the gap fixed it. Still runs good.

nicksavage

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, at my age I am lucky to keep up with the feeler gauge. I really don't remember if I had left it in for any tries. This probably tells me that I did not and will try it. Thank you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are adjusting the valve lash backwards.
The nut is the fulcrum for the rocker that adjusts the gap
The grub screw in the middle is the locking device.
So you set the gap by rotating the large nut then hole the spanner on the nut while you nip up the grub screw.
And note I said nip up not strip the thread or bend the key.

Last edited: