Trimming Thrust Plate for GXV160 install.

timc1018

Threads
Installing GXV160 on a P216012.

Two Questions:

1) Even with 1/4 spacer, the gas tank is still touching the edge of the Thrust Plate (Item # 21, Part#7035477 in diagram below.). I'd like to trim approx 1/2 back on the top of the Thrust Plate. Will not affect the structural integrity of the plate, the only thing I could think of is the top of the thrust plate acts as a "shield", but the drive wheel really does not rotate fast enough to throw stuff up, so I really don't see any down side. Chances are I could totally eliminate the 1/4 spacer as well. This part appears to be NLA so I don't want to mess anything up, but if I could safely trim this, it would make for a much cleaner install with plenty of clearance.

2) Is there a spec from base of engine to crank drive pulley to set the height? Or do I just align the height by eye looking thru the grass opening. I thought a read how to set the distance relative to base of engine and/or deck.

timc1018

Threads
Update: Looks like they changed the design of the drive unit, which resulted in lowering the Thrust Plate relative to the deck approx 1/4". Snapper also trimmed the top of the Thrust Plate back approx 1/2 just like I had planned to cut. I have a newer Snapper, bought around 2010 to use on my Mom's yard, and I just compared the two Drive Units. Snapper also simplified, by eliminating the drive belt tension pulley and going to a stretch belt.