Trimmer pull cord tricks?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've always had the dickens of a time with those small recoil like on Trimmers. I seem to get the spring too tight. And a lot of times, will straighten out the curled up end that attaches on the outside end of the recoil spring.

Anyone got a good video of some tricks to this to maybe give me some help with these.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Didn't know there was a trick. I just wind them until it stops, back off one turn, and install pull rope.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If i know what you are asking. I wind the spring up and wrap it wit tape then put it in and the cut the tape and pull the rap out. Kinda the way some new springs come packaged.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Didn't know there was a trick. I just wind them until it stops, back off one turn, and install pull rope.

That's the way I've always done it, but lately it seems I've been winding them too tight or something. I straightened out the bend on the last two recoil springs doing it that way.

I think I found a pretty good video, if anyone's interested. He doesn't wind the spring at all. I just tried it this way, and it worked like a charm. A lot easier than winding the spring first, trying to feed the pull rope & tie a knot while holding tension on the spring.