Transmission Belt on LX-426

richschiavi

Forum Newbie
Threads
I picked up a FREE Toro LX-426 with a model number of 13AL60RG044 and serial number of 1B058H20638 Date of Manufacture says 2/2008.
The 2 belts for the transmission were cracked and very loose so I was able to get new belts for it, but after installing them the drive belt it is VERY loose and barely will go forward, however reverse goes fast and no issues. At first i thought it may be the transmission however once looking at the belt it clearly is not getting any tension. As a side note Don't think it matters but the the engine isn't the original one as this is only a 14.5HP but I don't think that is the issue. Does anyone have any idea how to tighten the belt. As a matter of fact the parts manual calls for a 91"belt and the one I have on is 90" and it is still way too loose.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Did you install the Toro OEM (MTD) belts or was after market belts?

112-0301 / MTD 954-0467A 5L x 90.5
112-0305 / MTD 954-0468 5L x 42

Both of these belt are 5L versions and not 5/8 or B belts. Different profile. And yes when the engine to variable wil be loose at rest. This is an Auto Drive model.

Also note due this transaxle only a one speed with forward and reverse it should be any different if you are going forward or reverse provide that transaxle is working correctly. The driveshaft assembly inside the transaxle may be slipping gear engage by the clutch dogs. Not there so I just relying on what you have posted.

richschiavi

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did not install the OEM belts they are after market 1/2 x 90" belts, I guess i should order those up and see if it makes a difference otherwise the trans may be slipping, allthough i did adjust that a bit but it made no difference but like you said maybe the after market belts are whats causeing the issue.

richschiavi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you install the Toro OEM (MTD) belts or was after market belts?

112-0301 / MTD 954-0467A 5L x 90.5
112-0305 / MTD 954-0468 5L x 42

Both of these belt are 5L versions and not 5/8 or B belts. Different profile. And yes when the engine to variable wil be loose at rest. This is an Auto Drive model.

Also note due this transaxle only a one speed with forward and reverse it should be any different if you are going forward or reverse provide that transaxle is working correctly. The driveshaft assembly inside the transaxle may be slipping gear engage by the clutch dogs. Not there so I just relying on what you have posted.
BTW what does the 5L mean? I am looking online for these but all say 5/8

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
and that is why you need to go to a proper source like Gates
a 5L belt is 21/32" across the top and 3/8" deep
a std B belt is 5/8" across and 7/16" deep Gates are 21/32"
A 5V belt is 5/8" across and 17/32" deep

Typically on mowers
L profile is used on sliding sheaves, so they don't bottom out
Std profile on Hydro transmission & manual gearboxes
V profile on Murray decks, others use std To get more power without going to a heavier belt.

The heavier belt the harder it is to get around a small pulley
The deeper the belt the harder it is to turn around a pulley backwards ( called serpentine routing )

And now to really confuse you the chords are also in different places depending upon the belt profile.
And then different makers use different size chords and different numbers of chords.
Some can have 8 very thin ones while others can have only 5 thick ones.
All of this makes a drastic difference to the performance of the belt in use.

This is why you will regularly see techs heae asking "did you fit an origional belt?"
To further complicate things MTD use an L profile belt with a shallower V angle and only genuine MTD and Stens OEM or Gates belts work properly .

I had a customer who wanted me to fit his bargan belt he got from India off ebay. From memory it was about $7 aust as against $ 75 for an OEM or $ 130 for an original MTD belt
IT inverted in use destroying the front stack pulley ( $ 175 ) and when I replaced the pulley he gave me another $7 belt to fit again.
When this one also inverted he tried to sting me for a warranty replacement & eventually stormed off the the MTD dealer where he paid $ 225 for a genuine MTD pulley and $ 130 for a genuine MTD belt.
I got told this when I went there to pick up some MTD parts.
The "cheap" Indian belt had 3 thick cords in place of the 7 thin ones that the original had.

So you see there is a lot more to it than just the size in inches.

Last edited: