Transaxle issue

footballfan33

Threads
I’m not the handiest of guys but I changed the transaxle fluid once before by loosening the 2 screws on the football shaped plate underneath, in the past, without incident. The shop serviced it the last 2 times, and this time when I did I it myself, and one of the screw holes turned out to have de-threaded. They are saying they cannot fix it and want me to buy an entire new transaxle because of a screw hole. Short of having a machine shop re-boring it as a bigger hole, could they have done more?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Usually either resizing for a Heli coil installation or a slightly large screw is necessary but this depending on how much metal they have work with. It been a while since I work on a Hydro Gear transaxle (last year was the last time) but I didn't pay much attention to these mounting screw location as I had no problems other than the sealing.

I do know most shops don't have the qualified personnel like the older shops use to have. Besides they are more into making money than some shops like mine.

Either way it worth trying. The worst could happen is that the unit has to replace which is what they are suggesting already.

I think shop is looking at the cost of the initial Heli coil tools for an one time repair. They are expensive. I use think that way too. But I now charge enough to cover part the tool purchase and found I will use them again later; although, it might be a year or so before I do. Most customers understand the cost if I save them a considerable amount otherwise.

I currently repairing a Remington string trimmer where the intake mounting screw were broken off in the cylinder. I had to drill out the ones. I tried extracting them but the extractor sheared off in the screw as I didn't get the cylinder hot enough to release the red Loctite. Why they use it on M5 screws is an unknown but I ended up using carbide bits to remove the extractor tip. I proceed to enlarge to a M6-1.00 hole as there was plenty of room to expand things. Just the the mounting flange a little weaker but hopefully the customer can get some more use out the unit before having to toss it away as replacing the short block is too costly when compared to replacement of the whole trimmer.

I don't why I even bother with extractors as I break more of them than he removal of screws. At least carbide will cut them out.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would try fitting a Time Cert which is a solid insert much like a reducing bush
Reason behind this is they are solid not wire so if you break through the case it will not leak through the insert
The inserts are more expensive but the tools are cheaper as it is just a drill and a tap

footballfan33

Threads
Thanks guys. I just hope I get another 10 years out of this great machine at about 25 hours per year. I see it to mow my perimeter and where sticks are. I also use to to tow the dethatcher and spray spreader, using Celsius to kill weeds.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
What model D/C do you have?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Iron Eagle? They did not make an Eagle in 2010. They do now though.