Trailing Shield on 21462 Personal Pace

FlaMower

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased this mower last summer, and am pleased with it's operation (1/3 acre, 1+ mows/per week, St Augustine grass). I've had PP mowers in the past, and this one has a simple flat rubber trailing shield vs a curved one. Well, after maybe 3 or 4 months, this shield began to split on the ends apparently from pulling mower backwards. I sent Toro a note and they sent a replacement then "accused" me of not following the instructions in the owners manual! Well, now the new one is also starting to split. Anyone else have this problem? Seems more of a design issue than a user issue. Thanks!

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
almost 17 year old 20055 PP and on it that rubber has only been replaced once. Your mower has six different variants based on serial number. Without that no one can look up the part. Mine originally came with one with a slight curve at the end but the replacement #120-7011, which replaced #107-7496, does not. The curve is what damaged the original many years ago. Yours might be #139-6597. Mu mower is a 21 inch, yours may be a 22 inch. I don't go backwards a lot and try to mow in a forward direction. Also we mow on "C". If the mower was set lower like "A" or "B", I could see that being harder on the trailing shield than a higher setting. I have tall fescue and bluegrass that is kept at 3" in summer. You say you have St Augustine so you may set it lower to keep the St Augustine from becoming a mat. My late father had a twin of my mower and he used it on St Augustine. Never had a problem with it. I did look up the 139 part I found listed on one of those six variants and it looks just like mine but probably a little wider, e.g., 22 inch mower vs 21 inch mower. Maybe set the mower a setting higher and try to go backwards less?

Last edited:

FlaMower

Forum Newbie
Threads
almost 17 year old 20055 PP and on it that rubber has only been replaced once. Your mower has six different variants based on serial number. Without that no one can look up the part. Mine originally came with one with a slight curve at the end but the replacement #120-7011, which replaced #107-7496, does not. The curve is what damaged the original many years ago. Yours might be #139-6597. Mu mower is a 21 inch, yours may be a 22 inch. I don't go backwards a lot and try to mow in a forward direction. Also we mow on "C". If the mower was set lower like "A" or "B", I could see that being harder on the trailing shield than a higher setting. I have tall fescue and bluegrass that is kept at 3" in summer. You say you have St Augustine so you may set it lower to keep the St Augustine from becoming a mat. My late father had a twin of my mower and he used it on St Augustine. Never had a problem with it. I did look up the 139 part I found listed on one of those six variants and it looks just like mine but probably a little wider, e.g., 22 inch mower vs 21 inch mower. Maybe set the mower a setting higher and try to go backwards less?
The trailing shield is part #139-6597, flat with no curve (see attached pic) like my last Toro PP that was almost 20 years old without having to replace the shield. St Aug grass is cut at about 3", and to clarify, the only time I go backwards is to pull the mower out of the garage. The point is I'm wondering if anyone else that has the same shield has the problem? I do believe it's a design issue, but Toro doesn't want to admit a problem that could cause an expensive recall. Thanks!

Attachments

• part_p_3593043_d396903a72.gif
    part_p_3593043_d396903a72.gif
    60.9 KB · Views: 2

silveraid

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro 21323, has the same trailing shield, just by looking at it. I have used it only 4 times so far, the trailing shield fell off after I used it the second time. It looks like that it is made out of two parts, the harder plastic hinge and the softer shield part, they were probably glued together. I glued it together twice already, but it does not last. I mean to think that it is a design issue. I think it is possible that it breaks off when the mower gets smart stowed and the shield gets to the wrong side of the mower.