Trailer Gate assist??

577jersey

Threads
I had to extend the gate on my trailer 14" so the mower would get over the edge better,the trailer is a heavy duty 5x8 style.
I heard somebody talking about spring assisted hinges,,just not sure what they meant,i have never seen anything like that?
I did see a big spring assist contraption on ebay for $189 that looked like a cumbersome mess,,i need some ideas on how to add a spring assist to this gate before I blow out my lower back...other than that big goofy looking thing,,I do have a welder so maybe if i just add a garage door spring to each side somehow??

Thanks guys!!

RDA.Lawns

Threads
There is 2 styles of assist that are used on gates/ramps. The most common on trailers like yours is the style that fits on the top rail of the trailer. The second is a simple spring on the bottom, but you'd have to redesign the hing assembly with a pin and rod. Go to a trailer store look at bigger trailers with heavy ramps to get a better idea. The springs used on the big trailer ramps will be to heavy . They can get you lighter spring .

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I use the style on the left on my trailer its works well. Second option on right is the hinge spring.
ForumRunner_20161104_082001.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The spring you are looking for is standard fitment to horse floats.
Down here the good one have 3 hinges and 1, 2, or 3 springs depending upon the weight of the ramp.

577jersey

Threads
Thanks guys,I was about ready to go out and just put double garage door springs on one side with a couple quick links and eye bolts,,I do like the idea of having the single spring under the gate out of the way so Im not tripping over it all day,but not sure what size tension to get,my gate is heavy but not so heavy to where i cant lift it on my own.I saw the 2k springs on ebay,i do have a welder so guess i could fab up the pin and all that stuff,would just need some close up pics to see how they are installed.
i found a video but its really hard to see how its fabbed up.
The horse float style is what i would really want,thanks Bert!!

Tom

577jersey

Threads
I found a pic of what i was looking for online,,hope to be able to fab this thing up for next season,my back is killing me..lol
I like the way it was done because you dont have to mess with your existing hinges.

Screenshot.png

577jersey

Threads
Well i was desperate so I purchased 2x130lb garage door springs,2x3/8" quick links,and 2x3/8" eye bolts,put both springs on the same side and now if I bump it with my foot it will come up to my waist then is a 2 finger operation from that point on.

Decided to put both springs on the same side cause i cant stand clutter,I will be looking into fabbing up a horse float style when I get some more spare time.

The way i did it took me 10 minutes and cost me under $30.

577jersey

Threads
Here is just a quick pic of the top view,works awesome...the bottom eyebolt is attached to the top rail about 1" from the end.
I also painted the springs and all the hardware with enamel too help with oxidation.

Tom

1105161811.jpg

branthuntl

Forum Newbie
Threads
In general, the installation of swing garage doors begins with preparation. An adequately organized workplace will ensure not only fast production but also the quality of the work performed. Usually, the frame and sash frames are made in a spacious flat area. Its area should be 3-4 times larger than the area of the finished construction. This makes it possible to have free access to all the nodes of the assembly. The very process of assembling the metal frame and frame structures is divided into several stages: Developing a working drawing and diagram for installing the gate with their own hands. Determine the need for metal of the main groups: profiles, sheet metal, fittings, temporary and auxiliary structures. And the installation will better handle everlastgates.com.

Last edited: