Attachments Towing

cambre

Threads
I have a grasshopper 25hp diesel 725DT.
Can I put a towing attachment on the rear to tow a small trailer without hurting it? Cambre

cambre

Threads
Thanks MechanicMark: I believe you. I have gotten good info from you before.

Dieselbob

Threads
My dealer regularily builds and installs them for people. I have no need for one, myself.

bobbysr

Threads
I have a grasshopper 25hp diesel 725DT.
Can I put a towing attachment on the rear to tow a small trailer without hurting it? Cambre

I called Grasshopper about this & they said they don't recommend towing. They didn't get into detail but said no.

cambre

Threads
Now I'm confused. Grasshopper has a dozer blade you can put on the front of the mower to push snow, gravel, & dirt but they don't recommend pulling a small trailer? Is there a difference from pushing or pulling? Seems to me it would be easier to pull a trailer with wheels than to push gravel or dirt with a dozer blade. Cambre

Dieselbob

Threads
Since what you are towing is not a "factory approved" implement, and they don't know what you are going to do with it, it's far easier and less liable for them to just say "not recommended". As I said, my dealer TRIED to sell me one, so assuming you are fully aware of the machine's limitations, I would have no issue doing it. Just remember that a Grasshopper is not all that heavy in the back, and would be susceptible to too much weight behind the axle on the trailer, the rear wheels on the GH are small and wouldn't have much extra load capacity, and going down any type of hill could get REAL interesting. If all you want to do is tow a small lawn trailer around a fairly flat yard, and you don't load it with rocks, I see no problem. Like in most things, you just have to be smarter than the machine, which I understand is quite a challenge for some people. Just by asking the question, you've already proven you're smarter than most.

cambre

Threads
Thanks DieselBob: You make a lot of since. I always knew these manufactures have to cover all sources of misuse to protect them selves. I will make a hitch and pull as much as I think it will push with their dozer blade they advertise for this mower. Thanks Cambre

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My flimsy , bottom feeding, Craftsman rider allows a small trailer up to 250 lbs with ox cart axles (no bearings) so I would think you could tow a building with yours. :laughing:

cambre

Threads
Motoman: Thanks, I think I could pull any thing I need to. cambre