Towed my yta19k42..rear was free, now won't unlock

ccaissie

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Towed my yta19k42..rear was free, now won't unlock
Was given a non running mower and needed to tow it 300 yards. I dragged it 10 feet before i remembered to disengage the rear...skidded on the grass. Pulled the pin and released the rear drive to tow it slowly. At some point something maybe re-engaged and a whirring noise picked up speed so I stopped. The rear release pin was still pulled out, but now it seems to be locked up. I fiddled with the pin and the linkage underneath, all seems good, but again, it won't release. i see where the shift cable runs back to a moving piece....that seems ok...

Could I have ruined something? Is there a method to disconnect the drive in a different manner? I'm not familiar with the Husq's so I willdownload a repair manual and begin to understand how it works.

I read that it's a hydrostatic drive? So I probably didn't strip gears or anything, right?

Thanks for any info.
C

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Being a YTA it is not a hydrostatic but a CVT transaxle (General Transmissions RS800). There is no repair for the mower itself but there is one for the CVT and one for the engine.

I haven't had anybody to bring one that they towed while engaged so I just don't know if you damaged it or not. But for towing I would remove one of he rear wheels, remove the axle key, reinstall the wheel, and you should be safe to tow it safely.

It is also noted these GTI transaxles contain a lot of parts made of plastic and there is no internal serviceable parts available.

Last edited:

ccaissie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well it was not engaged, but now seems to have dropped into engagement, so we'll see.Thanks for reply. I will probably pick the rear wheels up and dolly it home...another 300 yards. Or follow your advice.

Engine is free, but starter will not spin, even with direct 12V jump.

Once i get it home will take agood look. Any good manuals out there?

ccaissie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well it was not engaged, but now seems to have dropped into engagement, so we'll see.Thanks for reply. I will probably pick the rear wheels up and dolly it home...another 300 yards. Or follow your advice.

Engine is free, but starter will not spin, even with direct 12V jump.

Once i get it home will take agood look. Any good manuals out there?
Oh i seeyou did give me manual info. thanks!