TORQUE RANGE FOR BLADE DISC RETAINING BOLT TO HONDA GVX160 MOTOR SHAFT

Quintrex

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / TORQUE RANGE FOR BLADE DISC RETAINING BOLT TO HONDA GVX160 MOTOR SHAFT
Hi , I have just registered to the forum. I need to replace the cutting blades soon . Since I have a torque wrench I would like to use the correct setting when refitting the blade carrier, Does anyone know what tightening torques are applicable for the retaining bolt and the individual blade bolts? Many thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most time this info is in the owners manual of the equipment the engine is mounted on. But normally it is 50-55 ft-lbs for most bar blades mounts.

However as said you need to refer to your owners manual for the correct torque specs.

Quintrex

Forum Newbie
Threads
My lawn mower (TPE Professional ) was purchased in 2014 and the supplier did not provide a manual. The blade carrier is a solid disc to which are attached 3 swivelling short blades, not a single bar. I would expect the required torque rating would be similar to a Honda push mower fitted with a Honda GVX160 motor but I have had no success in finding the recommended torques.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sure it has a 3 blade disc & not a 4 blade ?
In OZ they are either 2 blades or 4 blades
If the blade bolts are 10mm with a flat machined in one side then they go 25 to 39 ft lbs or 30 to 40 Nm
If you have the single 10 mm bolt on the disc it is 55 Nm or 40 ft lbs
OR flatten the spring washer then 1/4 turn.
Blade discs do not need to be anywhere as tight as a bar blade because they do not suffer from impact tightening
Impacts with solid objects just cause the blade to swing back.
The blades with the cup where the bolt goes through can be a little less.
The blades should be able to be move back but not swing freely
people tend to do them up too loose so the back pressure from the flue causes them to be at 45 degrees to the plate when cutting.
You notice this because they will not cut right up to the edge .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This is main reason I suggest referring to OM as they many different setup around the world. Tnx for the info on the swing back blade discs. Here the only thing I have seen a setup like that is my rotary bush hog mower for my tractor and they call the center disc a stump jumper.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We have ben using swing back blades since 1948 the first domestic rotaries down here all had swing backs and have remained doing so ever since.
Honda walk behind models for Australia & Europe also use swing back blades .
All of the slashers (rough cut to some ) available down here except the ones directly imported from the USA use swing back blades.
All of the 3ot linkage rotary mowers for real tractors use swing back blades , if you can call a 1/2" to 1" thick length of steel a blade .
Flail mowers use swing back blades
The locally made ride ons all use swing back blades and some badge engineered USA ride ons got converted to blade discs & swing backs .
We even make conversion plates & bars to convert bar blades fitted to USA imported domestic walk behinds & ride ons to swing back blades.
I have converted around 15 mowers to swing back & the customers have never stopped thanking me. They get a much better cut and no longer have to spend more time picking up gum tree branches than they do mowing.
And never have to replace spindle bearings.
The acres of manicured lawn types have bought rakes and find mowing first then raking the branches is a lot faster than trying to rake through long grass.
If I can just get them to stop mowing at 1" to 2" then my life and their life would be so much easier.
But some twit posted on U-BOOB that the natural preditors for snakes can not see snakes hiding in long grass ( total tosh ) so now all the city working lifestyle clots cut too low so the Kookas , eagles & hawks can see the snakes in their yard and eat them .
Must work because they have not seen any snakes , which is no surprise as they leave between 4 & 6 am and return between 7 & 9 pm then sleep in on the weekends .

A 3 blade set up is interesting.
Keeping the 3 blades in balance would be a challenge

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is main reason I suggest referring to OM as they many different setup around the world. Tnx for the info on the swing back blade discs. Here the only thing I have seen a setup like that is my rotary bush hog mower for my tractor and they call the center disc a stump jumper.
Tow behind slasher ( bush hog if you like ) blades should be loose enough so you can easily move them back by hand but tight enough that when the disc stops spinning the blades are either still at right angles to the disc or just slightly forward.
If they do a couple of revolutions all by themselves when the disc stops that is too loose unless they have a bush for the blade to spin on.

Quintrex

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys, I now have all the info I was looking for.