Toro ZTR with Myride

ukrkoz

Threads
I came across a 50'' deck Toro with Myride at Home Depot 2 days ago.
I am considering going back to ZTR and here's my question:

I have total crapfor grading in my 5 acres to mow. Small hills, bumps, what not. Ride is VERY uncomfortable and painstaking, as I have to creep through the property slowly.
Currently, I am doing main mow with UTV, towing a flail mower behind. UTV is most comfortable vs riding mower and two ZTRs I had before. But flail cut quality is meh...
So here's my question. Is that Myride a gimmick or it really works? As, otherwise, Toro does not have good rep, looks cheaply made and seat itself is not really that comfortable. Also, it has standard bolted frame and I KNOW it will start bending and cracking on my terrain. I don't want to invest into something that I will have to rid off because it starts falling apart or killing my back.
I can get Cub Cadet with floating front suspension, more comfortable seat, unitube frame and larger deck for same money as 54'' Toro. Ultima series. Have no rational explanation, but that frame looks solid.
Anyhow. Is that Myride worth the money?
Thank you

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What I’ve got to say will probably make no difference in answering your question, as I think you have already made up your mind. That being said I’ll still post my $.02 opinion as it might help others. One, Toro’s MyRide system may be a gimmick to some, but the vast majority of people who have purchased them are very happy with their purchase. Two, I have no idea where you’re getting your info about Toro, but my years of selling and servicing Toro tells me that they build quality equipment and their frames hold up very well, even on rough terrain. Three, you say you can get a bigger MTD unit for the same $$$$. Yes, Cub Cadet makes MTD!! Bigger unit, lower quantity brand, lower price, self explanatory as to why. Personally I would hope you would do a little more research on the Toro units. All that being said, I’m willing to bet you’re going Cub Cadet, as if one little thing goes wrong with the Toro you’ll say, “I knew I should have not purchased this piece of crap“, even though the Toro is a better quality unit.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I came across a 50'' deck Toro with Myride at Home Depot 2 days ago.
I am considering going back to ZTR and here's my question:

I have total crapfor grading in my 5 acres to mow. Small hills, bumps, what not. Ride is VERY uncomfortable and painstaking, as I have to creep through the property slowly.
Currently, I am doing main mow with UTV, towing a flail mower behind. UTV is most comfortable vs riding mower and two ZTRs I had before. But flail cut quality is meh...
So here's my question. Is that Myride a gimmick or it really works? As, otherwise, Toro does not have good rep, looks cheaply made and seat itself is not really that comfortable. Also, it has standard bolted frame and I KNOW it will start bending and cracking on my terrain. I don't want to invest into something that I will have to rid off because it starts falling apart or killing my back.
I can get Cub Cadet with floating front suspension, more comfortable seat, unitube frame and larger deck for same money as 54'' Toro. Ultima series. Have no rational explanation, but that frame looks solid.
Anyhow. Is that Myride worth the money?
Thank you
Toro makes good mowers. However, Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Lowe’s, and etc. are not the place to buy them. I have 3 acres with similar terrain as yours. I started out with a 50” Toro. It was too small and it took too long to do those 3 acres. I moved up to a 54” Toro Timecutter HD (now Titan). It was faster but, it beat me up pretty bad. Neither had My Ride seating. For your application, you would need a 60” upper end residential mower or lower end commercial mower with a suspension seat. However, you might not want to spend that kind of money.
Solution: Buy you a 60” tow behind finish mower for your ATV.
At a minimum, this would be the Toro that I would pick. You will have to buy through a dealer.

Last edited:

ukrkoz

Threads
OK, thank you.
Of course, short of test driving Myride on my property there is no REAL telling but, is it really dampening bumps and hills or not?
There are no decent tow behind finish mowers. The one and only I'd buy is not available due to parts shortage. That's just an opinion on the side. I am talking about Encores.
Problem with tow behind is I can't really go into tight spots and fence corners. So I have to do pre-mow, with my 50'' riding Cub, THEN do "main" mow. What adds about an hour to mow.
I had 54 and 60 Hustlers (never buy a Hustler!) and they did shorten time cutting but where super uncomfortable after about 2 hrs. Sea sick, really.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK, thank you.
Of course, short of test driving Myride on my property there is no REAL telling but, is it really dampening bumps and hills or not?
There are no decent tow behind finish mowers. The one and only I'd buy is not available due to parts shortage. That's just an opinion on the side. I am talking about Encores.
Problem with tow behind is I can't really go into tight spots and fence corners. So I have to do pre-mow, with my 50'' riding Cub, THEN do "main" mow. What adds about an hour to mow.
I had 54 and 60 Hustlers (never buy a Hustler!) and they did shorten time cutting but where super uncomfortable after about 2 hrs. Sea sick, really.
My property is probably as bumpy as yours. I went through four different mowers in four years before finding one that was comfortable enough to suit me.I could have gotten by on the third mower but, the engine wasn’t worth a darn. I now have a Gravely Pro Turn 260 and I am very happy with it.
Have you thought about a larger garden tractor?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am not familiar with the myride system but i have a Ferris 3100z with 4 wheel independent suspension and it is night and day difference to a regular Z.

ukrkoz

Threads
I am not familiar with the myride system but i have a Ferris 3100z with 4 wheel independent suspension and it is night and day difference to a regular Z.
Well, it's also night and day cost.

ukrkoz

Threads
My property is probably as bumpy as yours. I went through four different mowers in four years before finding one that was comfortable enough to suit me.I could have gotten by on the third mower but, the engine wasn’t worth a darn. I now have a Gravely Pro Turn 260 and I am very happy with it.
Have you thought about a larger garden tractor?
Ah, yes. For $13 000 I'd definitely expect some comfort. I'd rather keep running my UTV and flail. After all, I am not in lawn cut quality competition, just don't want to spend 4.5 hr every other weekend mowing.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ah, yes. For $13 000 I'd definitely expect some comfort. I'd rather keep running my UTV and flail. After all, I am not in lawn cut quality competition, just don't want to spend 4.5 hr every other weekend mowing.
I can tell you something that you may not realize. Getting a zero turn isn’t going to significantly reduce the time that you spend mowing. You can get the fanciest seating that you want for the money however, you still won’t be able to run any zero turn at their maximum ground speed. You can come close on smooth properties. With bumpy terrain, you are going to have to slow down. In fact, I rarely reach maximum ground speed, while mowing my lawn. I can run pretty fast on the rights of way next to my yard. That’s well graded and pretty smooth. Inside my fence, no way.
I’m not competing with anyone. I just needed something with some comfort, stout enough to handle the terrain, and a 60” deck. I don’t like mowing all day in 90F+ heat. I have to mow once a week.

Last edited:

ukrkoz

Threads
Sure thing. It was 100% faster to cut with 60"" Hustler, just super uncomfortable. I even added spring front struts and still, it only made it worse. But I knocked down full mow from 4.5 hr to 2.5. As in - full mow, without doing fence and trees pre-mow. Just because ZTR would go into any tight spot. With tow behind turning itself is waste of time and cut. Plus, running 2 engines.