Toro Weedwacker 60V

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bought a Toro 60V weedwacker a year ago. The head came apart due to string grabbing things. HD replaced it. Got another. Neither feeds with a bump. I end up every minute to two having to stop and manual feed the line. About once every 3 or 4 times on that I end up taking the spool off and readjusting every thing. One issue is that I am burning holes in the lawn trying to advance the line. Is there an easy way to make bump to advance weedwackers advance? This one cost almost $200 so it was not a $39 special. Toro 51831. The 30 year old $29 Poulan that I tossed when it wore out was never this much trouble.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Use a draganfly head & precut lengths
Sooooo much easier provided you use a good quality line & not some trash from Wally or HF
The Votrex twisted line & the square or triangular line work really well in Dragon fly heads

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I looked online and that may be an AU product only. There are a couple replacement heads here in the states but I can't find any websites that have a listing of what model parts I need to upgrade it. It is a Toro 51831 if anyone knows.

Attachments

• spool.jpg
    spool.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 1

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We do not have HD in OZ.
However it could be an Oz model that never made it down here & HD sold them off cheap .

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
what I meant is that Dragonfly is a AU thing. Nothing I could find in a similar design fits this Toro. I ordered some Oregon .080" round trimmer line to see if it feeds better. The stuff that came with it is grey and is cut part way every 1/4" or so. It just gets eaten away so fast and I am burning circles in the lawn bumping it to feed trying to trim around areas the mower can't hit. It doesn't even like to advance manually.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Funny enough I get mine from Stens and they have a whole product line of aftermarket dragan fly heads plus adaptors to fit almost every trimmer ever made
Dropped the numbers into the USA Stens site and they came up as "not found".
Shame so once again the residents of the USA are forced to use inferiour products that do not work particularly well & consume vast amounts of trimmer line .
All of the local civic authorities here either use Dragan fly head with pre cut length of line or Tanaka manual heads .
All of my commercial customers do the same although it took a while to convince some of them to try a precut line head but now they all love them
Most have gone from using a 5 lb spool of line every month or two with bump heads to now using a spool every year and at $ 140 a spool that is not to be sneezed at .
But the big advantage is time as the precut line trimmers will do 2 to 3 yards before the line has become so short it need replacing and because the line just gradually wears away at the end you always know exactly where the cutting tip of the line is .
Slowly I am getting them onto the Vortex twisted line which is even tougher than the co-extruded line & last a lot longer plus it is very quiet

Not quite the same thing but Pivo-Trim & Black-Max seem to do universal replacement heads on Evilpay USA
Stihl must have a line because there was a lot of Stihl precut refills

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
so I may have fixed the immediate issue. Pulled the spool and cover off. In the process of putting the new Oregon .080 line on I decided to see how the bump works. Poorly. But upon pressing it in and turning it manually it hits a stop. Then if one hits pushes down a little and turns (like when it is unwinding cord) it hits another stop and the bump comes out a little, then push in a little and turn and it turns further to another stop. So, now when the bump is hit, it not only goes in easier because the spring under it is less compressed, but each bump lets out much more string. I then moved the string cutter from the 13" position to the 15" position which allows more weight on the string to pull. So now I trim until it needs string, bump bump and hear the string hit the trimmer. Much easier. While it probably will go thru string faster and battery quicker, it is used for small tasks so it is now functional. I do not see the bump stop adjustment mentioned in the instructions but what a difference. It seems to control how much line can feed on each bump. Apparently it is set in the lowest position from the factory - meaning it is almost locked down - assuming it is meant to be adjusted. Who knows, it could be how it is taken apart and one more twist it comes off. Seems to be an adjustment though.

Last edited: