Toro warranty

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have an electric Toro string trimmer 51831 purchased last summer from Home Depot, 3 year warranty. While trimming the winter cover in the garden a large mature mustard green grabbed the string and sent parts flying. To me the head looks damaged due to how the parts exited. Really pisses me off because this is only the 4th or 5th time I have used it. Anyone have experience with Toro on these small items? The head that appears damaged does not come up in the parts diagram as replaceable so I am guessing the whole trimmer minus the battery will need to be replaced, Do I take it to a Toro warranty station near me, or back to Home Depot. Was purchased 6/13/21, not even a year old.

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Update: usually Home Depot doesn't answer here when you call them but today they did. They instructed me to take it to a specific nearby Home Depot store where they will look at it, and the receipt, and decide what to do. Most likely replace it. Just hope this is a one time situation and not something this $180 model is prone to. Definately going to load it with thinner string that breaks easier if it grabs something.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If Home Depot doesn’t replace it go to an authorized dealer and if they are any good you should get a replacement. I’ll be the first to admit there are a few who won’t try to help you. In my 40+ years of working with Toro, 95% of the time they will work with you. Keep us posted.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
thanks to all.

Start Tech- the head that spins is part of the motor and it has guides for the string.When it blew apart and parts went everywhere, those guides were damaged. The electric motor doesn't have parts available to replace that plastic head that spins.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bummer and it is a stupid design if Toro can't provide the needed parts.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bummer and it is a stupid design if Toro can't provide the needed parts.
yes - the only solution on the parts available is to buy a whole new trimmer for $180. 6 uses and it came apart. That is $30 each use. Considering that was about 60 minutes of use total, I guess that the new sales model is to charge per hour of use. I see this as an epic fail for Toro. The head is not sold separately either.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
home depot exchanged it. Put the new one together, one of the screws holding the shield on is stripped and doesn't tighten. Will probably glue it rather than take it back again and stand in line.