Toro Titan HD 74461 Kohler engine steering and drive too sensitive?

Flash2004

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro Titan HD 74461 Kohler engine steering and drive too sensitive?
This is a 2017 machine and I'm in New Zealand with it. Bought it second hand and its been dealer serviced with its next service due at 749 hours. It looks like new still so well looked after and it runs and cuts really well.

My problem is the two control levers are super sensitive and have virtually no feel. It seems its either stop or full speed and its almost impossible to control it. Wife and I have a bunch of mowers, come most recently off a Walker diesel and a Toro Timesaver 575 so we're familiar with lever controls at least. Feels like this mower should have some dampers or something to push against to allow better control. I just watched the wife stuck between the workshop and the outhouse even though there's plenty of clearance she's so nervous on it. I've put it in the drain twice while mowing along the edge and had to used my crane to get it out both times. Its fun but its also a nuisance.

Any ideas?

I've also learned this Kohler engine model has an oil leak problem at the valve covers and this mower is no exception. Anyone have a cure that doesn't involve a few hundred $buying an updated cover set.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well replacing the rockers is what Kohler has a service bulletin on.
1667362345377.png
This retro fit kit is only $20 here in the USA.

Don't know about the Toro 74461 but I service a couple JD 830A that are definitely too touchy for new operators. You can easily do damage with them in tight places. The only you can do in tight areas is to slow down the engine speed.

Flash2004

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well replacing the rockers is what Kohler has a service bulletin on.
View attachment 62707
This retro fit kit is only $20 here in the USA.

Don't know about the Toro 74461 but I service a couple JD 830A that are definitely too touchy for new operators. You can easily do damage with them in tight places. The only you can do in tight areas is to slow down the engine speed.

Flash2004

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for that, the dealer had sent me that as well but were asking NZ$202 for the Valve cover retro fit.

I've since discovered where the steering dampers are located and realise now that the left side damper is inoperative over the first 1" of movement so that will not be helping at all. The right side seems ok. They both appear to be a nightmare to access, the right side especially.

The information I'm getting from the dealer on what oil to use for the hydros oil change is quite vague. I can't send it to them because 250mi away and we have our own shop. The manual says a Toro oil but that is not available here. Instead they quoted a Total (French oil Co) Quartz 9000. I'd appreciate advice on an alternative oil from a better known supplier, like Mobil, Castrol, Shell, etc Please? cheers Gordon

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for that, the dealer had sent me that as well but were asking NZ$202 for the Valve cover retro fit.

I've since discovered where the steering dampers are located and realise now that the left side damper is inoperative over the first 1" of movement so that will not be helping at all. The right side seems ok. They both appear to be a nightmare to access, the right side especially.

The information I'm getting from the dealer on what oil to use for the hydros oil change is quite vague. I can't send it to them because 250mi away and we have our own shop. The manual says a Toro oil but that is not available here. Instead they quoted a Total (French oil Co) Quartz 9000. I'd appreciate advice on an alternative oil from a better known supplier, like Mobil, Castrol, Shell, etc Please? cheers Gordon
Does the manual list a weight of oil. Like 5w50 or something similar. Also look at the hydro drives themselves to see if you can find out which company made the drives. I suspect they are hydrogear, which would take 20w50 motor oil. But I have seen all weights of oil, including hydraulic oil, used in drive depending on what the mower OEM wants to use.

tuff-torq will use 5w50 full synthetic.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The hydros are Hydro Gear ZT-3400 units. So yes the conventional oil is SAE20W50 motor oil is what is in the service manual but SAE15w50 can be subbed as it gives you a better cold weather operating range. But these mower usually are used during warm/hot weather.

But this from the owner manual so they used SAE15W50 full synthetic.

1667393654071.png

Now I have not seen a Tuff Torq 5W50 full synthetic oil, only the 15w50 full synthetic. Mobile One produces a SAE15W50 full synthetic oil.

Flash2004

Forum Newbie
Threads
The hydros are Hydro Gear ZT-3400 units. So yes the conventional oil is SAE20W50 motor oil is what is in the service manual but SAE15w50 can be subbed as it gives you a better cold weather operating range. But these mower usually are used during warm/hot weather.

But this from the owner manual so they used SAE15W50 full synthetic.

View attachment 62708

Now I have not seen a Tuff Torq 5W50 full synthetic oil, only the 15w50 full synthetic. Mobile One produces a SAE15W50 full synthetic oil.
Excellent info, thank you.

Flash2004

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks All, I changed the left side steering damper and the mower is now awesome.