Toro Timecutter ZTR SS4200 vs SS4225

dsnel23

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys, have been reading the forum a lot lately trying to soak up all the knowledge I can. This forum and you guys are awesome, thank you!

I started out leaning towards a Cub Cadet XT1 LT 46 Lawn Tractor. Then after lots of reading here, I've decided to splurge a lil and go for the Toro Timecutter.

I'm leaning heavily towards the SS4225 because of the Kohler Twin Cylinder engine instead of the SS4200, and it's only about $200 more.

I just bought a new house and the lawn is only a lil larger than 1/3 acre with no hills, and a few trees, flag pole etc, but have I terrible knees so pushing isn't really an option for the whole lawn, trimming and etc is fine.

Any input would be much appreciated, going to try and find one this week.

Thanks!

Dave

KrashnKraka

Threads
Hi guys, have been reading the forum a lot lately trying to soak up all the knowledge I can. This forum and you guys are awesome, thank you!

I started out leaning towards a Cub Cadet XT1 LT 46 Lawn Tractor. Then after lots of reading here, I've decided to splurge a lil and go for the Toro Timecutter.

I'm leaning heavily towards the SS4225 because of the Kohler Twin Cylinder engine instead of the SS4200, and it's only about $200 more.

I just bought a new house and the lawn is only a lil larger than 1/3 acre with no hills, and a few trees, flag pole etc, but have I terrible knees so pushing isn't really an option for the whole lawn, trimming and etc is fine.

Thanks!

Dave

Welcome, brother.

I just got a thing with pressed metal anything in machines, cheap way
of production.
Leads one to wonder "what else is cheap made"... 0MMV

Off topic as it is, look after your knees. Like check out what needs doing
as basic maintainance and maybe go with the design which is easiest on
the body? An hour spent kneeling before a deck swapping out a belt is
hell on GOOD knees... not so bad for a few minutes :smile:

Good Luck wherever you go on a ZTR... fun times.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads

Thanks!

Dave

For a little over 1/3 acre, get a self propelled. You could even get a 36 inch that you can put a sully" behind to ride on.

dsnel23

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally made up my mind and went with the Toro Timecutter SS4225.

Have only mowed the grass twice so far with it, but wow! Love this thing! Only problem I have is that by the time I know it i'm done cutting.... Makes me sad, I want to keep on going! Maybe I'll see if the neighbors will let me cut theirs for free.... lol

Thanks again to everyone on this forum. All the info you guys give, and the debates back and forth have truly made this a one stop site for all the info I need to make an educated decision.

Best,

Dave

Homer1

Threads
Grats on the new Toro.

I would have made the same choice. If nothing else, you jumped up to alot better engine and more power. Toro has been a long standing company where I grew up, and almost everyone mowed with one. They are especially popular with local commercial mowers, as well as the Exmark (same company).

Their accessories are also pretty affordable, like the bagger and mulch kit, etc.. More so than many other brands anyway.

Hope you enjoy the mow!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dave- Congrats on your 4225, Good choice. I got my TC SS4260 last August at local Dealer end of year sale.. I just hit 30 hours on it.

I love mine as well. First thing I did was check all the tires air pressure & set them precisely to spec, then checked deck for side to side level (it was) & then checked to be sure deck had at least 1/16" - 5/16" slope forward. This really helps in beautiful cut & helps keep underside of deck much cleaner. (I made slight adjustment there).

PS: I never start mine without first checking oil level. Brand new engine may use a lil oil. & make sure you get that 1st oil & filter change done under 10 hours.

PSS: I would advise to never use the 'water deck clean out system' not good on the spindle bearings.

Enjoy your new Z .

Buddy

dsnel23

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dave- Congrats on your 4225, Good choice. I got my TC SS4260 last August at local Dealer end of year sale.. I just hit 30 hours on it.

I love mine as well. First thing I did was check all the tires air pressure & set them precisely to spec, then checked deck for side to side level (it was) & then checked to be sure deck had at least 1/16" - 5/16" slope forward. This really helps in beautiful cut & helps keep underside of deck much cleaner. (I made slight adjustment there).

PS: I never start mine without first checking oil level. Brand new engine may use a lil oil. & make sure you get that 1st oil & filter change done under 10 hours.

PSS: I would advise to never use the 'water deck clean out system' not good on the spindle bearings.

Enjoy your new Z .

Buddy

Thanks for the advice Buddy,

I also check the oil every time before I mow, only takes a few seconds, and could save a life (my mower) lol

I was thinking the same as you with the engine oil and filter, the manual states you only have to change it every 100 hours? Every new mower, snow blower etc that I have ever bought states to change it after 10 - 25 hours or something similar. I figure I will only put about 25 hours a year on it, would only benefit to change the oil after about 10 hours and then every other year also? Correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the advice Buddy, I also check the oil every time before I mow, only takes a few seconds, and could save a life (my mower) lolI was thinking the same as you with the engine oil and filter, the manual states you only have to change it every 100 hours? Every new mower, snow blower etc that I have ever bought states to change it after 10 - 25 hours or something similar. I figure I will only put about 25 hours a year on it, would only benefit to change the oil after about 10 hours and then every other year also? Correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

Dave-
Checking oil before use is a good habit, for sure.

The 1st oil & filter change is Very Important, as the new engine is mating with so many new parts, that's why I always change filter as well. I did mine @ 10 hours.

I may put 30 hours on a year, time will tell, on this machine. But I never go longer than 1 year on any oil & filter changes. Oil will still be good, but the additives break down. But that's me.

I want my Kawi engine to last & last. (Never thought a Harley Guy like me would say that).. :laughing:

So how you liking the new machine ? :thumbsup: