Toro timecutter wont restart

Paulc70beach

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower last serviced probably in the fall, left to sit until Wed. Wont start, dead battery wont charge. Install new battery mower starts almost immediately, able to run it perhaps 5 min, tested PTO and belts, blades are spinning. Engine begins to struggle, disengage PTO, engine recovers, engage PTO engine falters. Leave pto off, engine continues to struggle, move throttle to choke and engine runs strong, falters as soon as I take it out of choke, move back to choke engine runs fine for a time then dies. Able to restart it 3 or 4 times, cant move throttle out of choke or engine dies, eventually it simply refuses to start. Fuel is new, filter both air and fuel are new...battery brand new.

Thoughts? I know next to nothing about engines. Was able to remove air filter and open carburetor. Looked "fine", no obvious gunk or grime, clean and shiny. Choke "door" moves a lot with throttle control. Inner "door"(don't know what to call it) moves very, very little throughout throttle lever travel.

Thanks, Paul

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Loosen the fuel cap ,
Problem goes away cap vent or tank vent is clogged
Loosen the cap then remove the fuel line at the closest point to the fuel tank.
Blow back hard through it.
Problem goes away for a short while then thee is debris blocking the outlet .

Paulc70beach

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I confirmed there is fuel all the way to carburetor.....still wont start.

Any thoughts? Thanks, Paul

Paulc70beach

Forum Newbie
Threads
Been tinkering w the mower all morning. Just noticed it is blowing fuel/oil out muffler. Does that mean it is just flooded or something more?

Thanks, Paul

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the oil level in the engine
If it is high then then float is not shutting off the fuel.
We really need to know which of the 3 engines fitted your mower has and if possible the engine numbers.
I will guess , and it is only a guss that you have faulty rectifier which id causing voltage drop enough to close or cause the carb solenoid flutter which is cutting off the fuel supply

Paulc70beach

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here are pics of the engine I am dealing with. Thanks so much for being willing to help! Paul

Attachments

• mower 1.jpg
    mower 1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 10
  • mower 2.jpg
    mower 2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 10
  • mower 3.jpg
    mower 3.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 10
  • mower 4.jpg
    mower 4.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 12
  • mower 5.jpg
    mower 5.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 11
  • mower 6.jpg
    mower 6.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 10

Jkinds

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like your carb isn't set for the proper mix of air/fuel when not on choke.