Toro Super Recycler Model 20472 Leaking Oil Under Deck

bobtrop

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro Super Recycler Model 20472 Leaking Oil Under Deck
I have a Toro Super Recycler #20472 that I bought new in April of 1997. I use it every year, haven't had any major issues and have been very pleased with it. I was in my garage the other day about 2 days after I last cut my lawn and noticed a pool of oil on the floor that seems to be coming from under the deck. I've also noticed a build-up of oil and dirt around the dipstick tube in recent months. I really don't have the know-how to work on small engines, nor do I feel comfortable with taking much of anything on the mower apart and repairing/replacing it. So I guess my options are to take it in to be repaired or start looking for a new mower. Does anyone have any idea what a ballpark cost would be to repair it? And since the mower is 23+ years old, should I just be happy I got my money's worth and purchase a new one? Any comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the dipstick out & check if the oil level is high or low and then smell it . see if itsmells of fuel and finally rub your fingers in it , see if it feels thin.
Let us know what you find.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
New mower or hire a lawn crew time.

slomo

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
At that age it could be just a bad O-ring at the bottom of the dipstick tube. Simple fix. If you don’t feel confident to tackle it yourself, my recommendation is to go to a Toro dealer and ask for an estimate. Tell them if the fix is within your budget to fix it or you will be purchasing new. If you replace that unit, with today comparable unit, I would recommend Toro model 21385 which costs around $500.00.

bobtrop

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry for the long delay in responding, but had a personal emergency and doing OK now. The oil level was very low. I did not smell fuel and the little oil left felt thin. After weighing all my options I decided to buy a new Toro. I looked at all the Super Recylers and decided on the one Rivets recommended, model 21385. I've only used it a few times, but I like it a lot. It's well built, seems to be easier to maneuver than my old one and mulches very well. The only thing that is taking some getting used to is the Personal Pace feature. If you are standing still and want to get into a tight spot it will surge forward a bit when you give a push. Don't see this as an issue and will get used to it.

I think I'm going to hang onto my old one and see if I can maybe fix it myself if it isn't anything too complex. It could be a good learning experience and if I fix it that would be great, but not a big deal since I've gotten my money's worth from it.

Thanks to all of you who replied to my post.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can adjust the Personal Pace by loosening the knob on the left hand handle bar, about 12 inches down. The pull the Personal Pace cable toward you just a click or two, tighten the knob. If it still jerks repeat. If you lose drive you must go back, loosen the knob and pull the cable down a click or two. Post back if you have a problem.

bobtrop

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I'll give that a try.