Toro Super Recycler 21387 On-and-Off Surging

Gersen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a Super Recycler Model 21387 (190cc engine) about 3 weeks ago. It's been used 3 times. During the very first mowing session, after running OK for a little bit the engine started surging as if the carb had gone lean. I had another machine once with a similar problem and the issue was that the gas filler cap wasn't venting properly. I unscrewed the new machine's cap and the engine straightened out. This was repeated several times during the session. During the second session, the engine ran perfectly throughout -- no problem at all. The third session was yesterday (Saturday), and it was back to surging again. I tried taking off the gas cap but this time it had no effect. Thinking the carb float might be sticking closed, I bounced the machine lightly a couple of times and the engine smoothed out. I had to do this several times throughout the session.
Needless to say I'm not too pleased with this. It seems to me in a customer feedback from the store I ordered it from someone mentioned a similar problem. Does anyone know of a chronic carburetor problem with this model? Warranty work might be a bit tricky in this case but I'd be willing to attempt a repair myself if I knew for sure where the problem was centered.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start by removing the carb & cleaning it
Do the same with the fuel tank

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I purchased a Super Recycler Model 21387 (190cc engine) about 3 weeks ago. It's been used 3 times
I purchased a Super Recycler Model 21387 (190cc engine) about 3 weeks ago. It's been used 3 times. During the very first mowing session, after running OK for a little bit the engine started surging as if the carb had gone lean. I had another machine once with a similar problem and the issue was that the gas filler cap wasn't venting properly. I unscrewed the new machine's cap and the engine straightened out. This was repeated several times during the session. During the second session, the engine ran perfectly throughout -- no problem at all. The third session was yesterday (Saturday), and it was back to surging again. I tried taking off the gas cap but this time it had no effect. Thinking the carb float might be sticking closed, I bounced the machine lightly a couple of times and the engine smoothed out. I had to do this several times throughout the session.
Needless to say I'm not too pleased with this. It seems to me in a customer feedback from the store I ordered it from someone mentioned a similar problem. Does anyone know of a chronic carburetor problem with this model? Warranty work might be a bit tricky in this case but I'd be willing to attempt a repair myself if I knew for sure where the problem was centered.
These have a special carburetor that makes the Smart Stow feature possible. Something inside it is limiting fuel flow. I would pressure test the needle and seat first.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you registered the unit any Toro dealership can do warranty service on it, which is the route I recommend.

DarthRUSerious

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same issue, carb and fuel cap replaced. Had been using fresh E10 to test. Shop used rec fuel (E0) and couldn't get it to fail.

Once I started using rec fuel, I haven't had any issues. But now I'm mad because I have to drive so far to get fuel for my mower and the "new" 190cc goes through it a lot faster than my old 160cc Recycler.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the same issue, carb and fuel cap replaced. Had been using fresh E10 to test. Shop used rec fuel (E0) and couldn't get it to fail.

Once I started using rec fuel, I haven't had any issues. But now I'm mad because I have to drive so far to get fuel for my mower and the "new" 190cc goes through it a lot faster than my old 160cc Recycler.
Be glad you are not fueling up a 0-turn LOL. A push mower sips fuel compared to those 1800lb beasts.

Get a couple NEW, 5 gal cans with the sealing o-rings and such. Little fuel stabilizer like Stabil 360 and call it done. Less trips to refuel. Easy right?