Toro SS5000 No Start

jepiii416

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro SS5000 zero turn that won’t turn over/start. maintenance (plug, filters, oil) end on last season when I put it away, has not started since. 1. Replaced solenoid. Using Multimeter: Checked PTO good, Checked Ignition switch good, Checked Fuses good, continuity checked most wires using wiring schematic, bypassed seat safety, bypassed the brake module (black to green wire), battery full charged, battery to starter bypass engines cranks for about 5 seconds, second attempt nothing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Use some jump start leads to bypass the entire mower,
First connect the + directly to the starter +
Then hook the - from the battery to the engine block ( drain plug is good )
Engine cranks = bad connection between battery & mower
If no joy do the same with another battery
Engine cranks = bad battery

jepiii416

Forum Newbie
Threads
New battery, bypassed fuel shut off solenoid, new plugs-gap. Starter turns engine over.
by passed starter solenoid (direct connect) and engine starts briefly then shuts off (Even w/key in “ON” position.
drained and replaced gas, filter
turning the key nothing, no noises, clicking. replaced starter solenoid again (maybe got a bad one) same results.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am going to be a PIA but it can't be helped
Bypassed the fuel solenoid ? how ?
Pull the blower housing off
Remove the kill wire from the coils start the engine
If it continues to run, it confirms an electrical fault
The usual culprit is the brake module .

You will need to go to Toro & get your EXACT service manual so you have the right wiring diagram
Toro changed it regularly .
Post the diagram here so we are all singing from the same song sheet.
Electrical problems are best diagnosed rather than throwing new parts into the mix because it just confuses everything .
And try to remember thaat we have nothing to work with but the words you type and words can be confusing if you are not clear .

jepiii416

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gave up and took it to an authorized repair center. They had it for over a week and cannot figure it out. They said I can spend a bunch of money for them to continue to diagnose it or I can pick it up. I am picking it up.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK.
When you get it back
Take a photo of the ID plate & post it here so we all know exactly which one you have/
Ask some one to show you which manuals you need to download from Toro .
The forget everything that has already happened and ask some one to walk you through the diagnosis , step by step.
Follow their instruction TO THE LETTER , regardless of weather you think you have done it all before .
Electrical gremlins get hunted down by being methodical .
All of the techs here have a slightly different proceedure but we all end up doing the same things it is just the order that changes.
I like to shunt ( bypass with jumpers ) some like to measure & some like to substitute but in the end we are all doing the same thing .
Pick one tech to follow and do exactly that follow exactly and we will work through the problems ( there may be more than one )

jepiii416

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update to those who were wondering, finally identified the root cause. Believe it or not the cause was a single strand of wire that was protruding thru the sheathing (manufacturing defect) and poked thru the sheathing in an adjacent wire causing a grounding.
Thanks for all the advice.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you for your update. Did you find the problem on your own, or have another shop help you out? If it was another shop I suggest you contact Toro with your experience and let them know of your experience even if you found it yourself. If it was a manufacturers defect they would like to know, as well as the poor quality of service you received at the other dealership. I’ve dealt with Toro tech service since 1981 and know that both positive and negative feedback is welcomed.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Totally agree with Bert, but will add one thing. Cross that Toro dealer off your list, he makes us look bad, and his techs are plug and play.
Unfortunately a lot of small engine shops and dealers don't have techs with with electrical troubleshooting training. Even with a schematic many struggle. I have met some really smart youg men with decent mechanical skills and understand basic electrical theory but just don't have electrical troubleshooting chops. Experience is the best teacher.