Toro SS4260 transaxle - how to add oil?

need-for-speed

Threads
Mine has a leak at the lip seal. New seal on order. I can’t figure how to add oil to the transaxle?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Fill plug is on top of the transaxle, which may require removing the complete unit from the mower to access. Correct level is .75-1.5 inches below the fill plug.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The OP didn't post which seal was leaking but I am assuming he means the axle seal.

If this the model 74626 then the ZT2100 will have locking nuts holding the axle hub. You will need a new nut. If you go by the Hydro Gear instructions then Toro hub/nut kit PN 120-7101 superseded to 121-5731 ($150) or the Hydro Gear hub/nut kit PN 72231 ($45.14). Hydro Gear don't list a PN just for the nut and Toro supersedes it to the hub/nut kit. Your choice if want to pay for Toro to repackage the parts.

1670139162000.png

need-for-speed

Threads
Thanks for the quick responses gents! My apologies for not describing the seal better. It's item 41. I ordered the part yesterday. Now I see it may be part of a "kit" (pn 160 - seal and rig kit"). If you don't mind, I have 2 questions:

1. it appears to only be leaking at that one spot. Do I need the kit, or just the seal?

2. is there a procedure printed for removing the entire transaxle? I searched for a service manual, but only find the operating/owners manual which does not have that level of detail.
ntoro RH transaxle exploded diagram.JPGtoro RH transaxle parts list.JPGtoro RH transaxle exploded diagram.JPG

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If 41 is the only leak than I would just replace 41. the less you take apart the less chance you have of contamination. And contamination is a big NO NO on hydrostats. Hydrogear even recommends to do the minimum to effect the repair.

need-for-speed

Threads
Many thanks Gents! Manuals downloaded and saved. I will just replace the one seal.

Cheers,
Mike

need-for-speed

Threads
Success! A big thanks to @ILENGINE and @StarTech! Thank you so much. The manuals helped BIGLY!
It’s a bit aggravating to have to completely remove the transaxle to get to the fill plug, but so be it. Otherwise, the Toro is a great unit, and the manuals have very good detail.

The old seal didn’t look too bad. The vent tube was really clogged up. I wonder if that caused pressure to build in the unit? I went to head and cleaned out both vent tubes real good while I was in there.

thanks again!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The vent tube being clogged would of causec the seal leak. I have seen cases where a plugged vent pushed the seals out.