Toro Recycler backfires when trying to start

CLamb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yesterday, my Model 20217 stopped due to running out of gas. As it has always been hard to start when hot I put it away for the day. Today when I try to start it all that happens is I hear a soft backfire about once with each pull of the cord. Any suggestions on solving the problem? Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You’ve got a mower that’s been around for a long time, with one of the good old Briggs engines. My record on where to start solving this problem is removing, cleaning and rebuilding the carb. Not a hard job and needle and seat kit only about $6.00.

CLamb

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, I've rebuilt and cleaned the carb but no improvement. I cleaned and checked the gap on the spark plug. I then tried testing for a spark by unscrewing it with the wire attached and grounding the base to the head with a wire. I didn't see any spark. I took the cover off and found the stop switch wire's insulation had rotted away. I removed the wire and tried again. Still no spark.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
you pulled the wire off at the coil, correct?

CLamb

Forum Newbie
Threads
What confuses me is that I measure a resistance of 4.7KΩ between the spark plug wire and the spark plug socket. Can the coil be bad and still have this resistance?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
what makes the coil spark ?
How many winding are there in the coil ?
Why bother to measure some thing that has no meaning ?