Toro Recycler 22" refuses to bag worth a crap

Hatemytoro

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 22" recycler bagger mower. I've replaced the broken back baffle, put on a brand new high lift bagging blade, adjusted the cutting height, and switched out the bag. It still refuses to bag worth a crap. It fills up about 1/4 the way then stops. I can tell it's not pushing air like it should because the bag loses it's inflation when it stops picking up the clippings. It appears to bag fine for about 30 seconds. Otherwise, the mower runs and cuts like new. What else could it be or does this mower just not bag worth a crap?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check engine rpms.

Scrape the deck and make sure you have that rear wall plate installed that parallels the rear drive axle. Assuming you have rear drive.

Other than what you have done, that low end machine doesn't bag worth a darn. Toro's are built primarily to mulch slash weed chop spreading weed seeds mode. Never been strong baggers at all. If you want the best bagger on the planet, get a Snapper Hi-Vac. Message ends.....

slomo

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Post up a picture of your hi lift bagging blade.

slomo

Hatemytoro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Post up a picture of your hi lift bagging blade.

slomo
Amazon lists the blade as:

Maxpower 331376B Mower Blade for 22" Cut Recycler, 22 inches, Replaces Toro 104-8697-03, 108-9764-03

Engine RPM's seem fine. Has plenty of power. I'm kind of leaning to your point in that the stupid thing never bagged very well. I bought it used last year but this is the first year I've tried to bag with it. I want to use mulched leaves and clippings in a garden bed but having no luck.

Attachments

• mower blade.png
    mower blade.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 11

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Blade seems okay, don't know a thing about the manufacturer. Looks like a possible hi lift bagging blade from the blurry picture.

Check engine rpm's with a tachometer. Snag one off of ebay for around 20 bucks or less. This is pretty critical when you are trying everything you can to make a poor bagger bag. Or run it by a mower shop. Have them check the rpms. You need 3400+ to 3600rpms for best bagging.

slomo

Hatemytoro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the help. I have an oscilloscope I can use, with a rigged up inductive pickup, to check rpm.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the help. I have an oscilloscope I can use, with a rigged up inductive pickup, to check rpm.
Well fire up the O and count some revs. Set the ol' girl to 3600 when you are done.

slomo

gotomow

Threads
Well fire up the O and count some revs. Set the ol' girl to 3600 when you are done.

slomo
Model and serial number would be helpful too

rgrottk

Threads
You might have the wrong blade on it ..... something Low lift instead of High lift .... so that it has the correct force to fill the bag.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You might have the wrong blade on it ..... something Low lift instead of High lift .... so that it has the correct force to fill the bag.
Possible as Toro doesn't really make a hi lift bagging blade, per say. Now Snpper does and has been for decades. The blade above is aftermarket unknown Chrinese.

slomo