Toro Recycler 22" bogs down

NTexian

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a used Toro Recycler 22" Self Propelled mower last year. It has the Tecumseh engine, 6.5 hp, 195 cc, Model LV195XA.
It has always bogged down too easily. I've tried replacing air filter, new gas, adjusting idle speeds, etc. But nothing so far has solved the problem.
Other than bogging down (on not very high grass) I like this mower. It completes the job, just have to go slow when it bogs down.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Set the rpm's to 3600. Sharpen the blade. Clean the air filter. Adjust the valves. Problem solved.

slomo

NTexian

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. New blade and air filter last year, but haven't tried adjusting valves. I'll give it a try.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks. New blade and air filter last year, but haven't tried adjusting valves. I'll give it a try.
Is the blade sharp NOW? Is the air filter clean now? Put a tach on the plug wire and see what revs you are sitting at.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yearly mower maintenance.
1.Adjust valves
2.Sharpen and balance the blade.
3.Use fuel stabilizer year round.
4.Use 100% real gas if you can get it.
5.Install and use a fuel shut-off valve and a good paper fuel filter.
6.Remove the blower shroud and CLEAN all the grass, dirt and oil from the cooling fins. If you neglect this, you are asking for engine damage.
7.Lower the handlebar and dump the oil out. Fill with fresh 30w oil. Walmart sells Supertech in a 2 gallon jug for $19.50.
8.Get a foam pre-filter for your air filter if possilble.
9.Every 100 hours I think it is, pull the head and remove the carbon buildup. Check your manual on that spec.

slomo

NTexian

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes the blade is sharp and filter clean. The engine ran the same (bogged down) after new filter and blade.
Don't have a tach.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does it sound like its at full revs? Jump on ebay, tachs are like 10 buck I think??

slomo

NTexian

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes it sounds good at low load. I've tried increasing idle and it still bogs down. So I set it back to normal sound at low load.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Spotted that this was a used mower. I would get a new carb off ebay for like 20-25 bucks delivered. Push mower carbs are cheap. Not even worth cleaning a dirty one these days. You got strong spark?

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does that motor have a plastic camshaft?

slomo