Toro push mower won't stay running

Jack9

Threads
I bought a Toro mower that's only a couple years old from someone who said it wouldn't start, but I got it started just by removing the air filter and using some starting fluid. I've used it a few times since then, but recently when I was mowing, it kept getting bogged/dying down in some thicker/damp grass, so I kept tilting the mower up and letting it fall down to knock some of the grass loose. I did this several times, then the engine RPM dropped really low and it was barely running for a bit, then died. Since then, it will usually start right up and immediately die. I can keep it running by giving it a hard/fast push/stop/pull for a couple feet, where it will run at normal RPM for maybe two seconds and die if I don't keep pushing/pulling. I'm using recently purchased ethanol-free gas.

I removed the fuel line and let the gas tank drain, and removed the plastic carb bowl and dumped it (it looked clean though). After that, the mower started right up and seemed to idle normally, through when I tried to cut, it bogged down easily. I tilted it up about 45 degrees to remove some of the stuck grass from the deck underside, but when I tried to start it again, it went back to idling really low and rough, and eventually died, and then went back to not staying running, as before.

I assume if the jet was clogged, it wouldn't stay running with the above methods. Could there be a clog where the fuel line enters the carb, or in the fuel line itself, or still something in the tank?

The mower model # is 21465
The engine model # is 104M020010F1

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
so I kept tilting the mower up and letting it fall down to knock some of the grass loose. I did this several times, then the engine RPM dropped really low and it was barely running for a bit, then died.
Where did you learn this procedure? Someone told you about it. Who was it? Recommend not slamming the mower into the dirt. Several reasons why not. Delete it from your bag of tricks.

Clean and pressure test the carb. Clean and flush the entire fuel system.

Jack9

Threads
Where did you learn this procedure? Someone told you about it. Who was it? Recommend not slamming the mower into the dirt. Several reasons why not. Delete it from your bag of tricks.
Woah there. Yes, I know it's bad to do.

Jack9

Threads

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The jet assembly is removable which will allow you access to the jet orifice. If cleaning with carb cleaner doesn’t do the job, you can replace just this assembly, but there are two assemblies depending on year of manufacture. Also, check the float height.