Toro Push Mower Engine Revs Up and Down

Threads
Hi folks. My lawnmower revs up and down when try to use it. I think this might be called, "hunting and surging". The mower is about 10-15 years old.

I made a 10-second video and I'm hoping someone can view it and offer possible solutions.

Video Link:

tlm.jpg

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Order a carburetor rebuild kit using numbers & manufacturer of your engine. Remove carburetor & disassemble completely & use an ultrasonic cleaner or just google how to properly clean a carburetor before rebuilding.

Threads
Thanks, Mark. I'll look into carburetor rebuild kits and cleaning methods. I appreciate your help.

Threads
Thanks, Bert. I visited the site but when I searched for my Toro model number (20038) it didn't yield any results. From what I understand, it has a Briggs & Stratton engine. I'm wondering if I should check the engine for its own model number. I'm a few miles away from the mower location so I can't go look at it at the moment.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes check by engine make & model not by what it is fitted into
The carbs are all the same regardless os who is fitting them

Threads
Thanks, Bert. I appreciate your help and for providing the outdoor power info link. Personally, I'd go straight for the rebuild. However, I have a relative that wants to install a new, non-OEM product. I'll wait until this $10 new carb bombs and then do the rebuild :)

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
That mower is definitely a keeper. Do what you can to get her running. Hard to find a better mulcher than that one. THAT was back when Toro made good pushers.

Definitely a dirty carb or fuel tank issue. Something is limiting fuel flow.

Remove fuel tank and flush it out.

Install new fuel line. Filter and a shutoff valve are good ideas too. Cheap also.

Like others said clean and rebuild the OEM carb. Don't go to ebay or amazon looking for Chinese carbs.

Threads
Thanks, Slomo. I'll start with the carburetor first, and maybe move on to the other maintenance. I'm glad to hear this mower is a keeper. I'll take of it for sure.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
On a mower that old I would do:

1.Clean and rebuild the OEM carb. This is your most likely issue. Also check for vacuum leaks.
2.Flush fuel tank and install new fuel line and filter if you have room.
3.Pull the head and de-carbonize the cylinder, head and valves. This is in your engine manual you need to download.
4.Remove the metal engine fan shroud. Clean the top, bottom and all around the block. Remove all grass, dirt, oil and bugs from the cooling fins. Clean the entire engine like it was new. As Bert said, there is clean and then there is CLEAN. Look behind the muffler and such. Go all CSI on her. This procedure is also a must do, in your engine manual.
5.While you have the head off, check valve clearance.