Toro Personal Pace 20017 locked rear wheels

kaybob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have a Toro Personal Pace (model 20017) that has been a great mower for years. Recently, the rear tires are locked up when it is not started. When I do start the mower and engage the transmission, it moves as usual. I know in the past, here's what I did:
  • I bought new wheels because the insides were worn out
  • I cleaned out the rocker pin which was full of gunk.
  • I greased it up the rocker pin area using garage door grease (not sure if that is the right type).
Ideally, I would like to have the rear wheels roll freely while the mower is not started. Questions I have:

1. Any suggestions on how to fix the rear wheels from being frozen? I forgot how to get to the rocker pin so any instructions would be helpful.
  2. Is there a way to make the wheels move a little faster? It seems that they are slowing down and I have to push a little harder. Not sure if it is common for these mowers to lose its umph.
Thanks for your time!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, the serial number will be a great help. I’m guessing that the drive gear on the axle is worn and needs replacing. Is the pin you are talking about a half moon sit on a spring in the axle? With the serial number I can help more.

kaybob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Serial number is 260059415,

@Rivets - yes the pin is a half moon small piece. If it is the drive gear, is that easy to replace if I am a little mechanical?

Thanks for your time!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, you should be able to accomplish this job, if you have the patience. Go to this website, using you model and serial numbers to get a breakdown of parts and diagram of how it is assembled. Couples of things to remember. First as you disassemble the drive make sure you keep track of the order you take parts off and the direction they face, as some washers and the gears are directional. Second, below the key (pin) is a small spring. The holes it is in will probably be filled with dirt and grease, making the spring tough to get out. Take your time and after you get it out clean out that hole and spring, so it can operate properly.

kaybob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! One more question... Do I apply grease to this area or is WD40 enough?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
VERY, VERY, VERY little lube between the drive gear and axle, only attracts dirt. I run them dry on all units I see routinely, as I check them each year.

kaybob

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will report back.... Thanks for your guidance!

kaybob

Forum Newbie
Threads
It worked!! I was able to extract the key and cleaned up the channel with the spring. Both sides were full of mud for some reason. I also took apart the transmission asm and noticed that the grease was hardened. I cleaned that up as much as possible and repacked it with new grease. It works like it was brand new. No resistance moving forward or backwards. Woohoo!

My neighbors must think I am crazy because I started up the lawn mower to test it at 8:30PM !

Once again, thanks for your help. Really appreciate it!

evh

Threads
I hope this is appropriate that I jump on this thread and change the subject a little. I also have a 20017. My issue is one of the metal teeth broke off of of the rear drive wheels. That has caused two issues. One, it clicks a little when it hits that spot (annoying and not good for it). Two, this clicking is really wearing down the pinon gear on that side. So if I compare the pinion drive gears on each side, the one driving the "chipped tooth" wheel, is really worn. I ordered new pinion gears, but I am afraid that one will start wearing on that side. It looks like the metal gear is attached to the plastic wheel with rivets, however, the parts diagram list the metal gear and plastic wheel as one. Does anyone know if the metal gear can be replaced by itself? If so, where can I get one? Thanks.