Toro or Troy-Bilt walk behind mower?

ickywasp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am now torn between this Toro 20332 Recycler with rear-wheel drive with personal pace ($359):
Toro Personal Pace Recycler 22 in. Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Lawn Mower - California Compliant-20332 at The Home Depot

and this Troy-Bilt TB230 with front-wheel drive and variable speed. ($299)
Lowes.com is currently offline for site maintenance.

I actually like front wheel drive lawn mowers (easier to turn around), but I keep hearing that Toro is a better brand and that rear-wheel is better.

Is the Toro worth an extra $60?

Thanks in advance.

PS I kind of like this Honda self-propelled, but it is kind of a budget buster:
Honda 21 in. 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self Propelled Gas Mower with Auto Choke-HRR216K9VKA at The Home Depot

jimrs

Threads
If it were me I would not choose any of those as none have a blade clutch. Everytime you walk away you will have to restart the mower. I would go with the Honda or the Toro with a blade clutch. On my last walk behind I picked the Honda don't know why just saw it and bought it. I have had no problems except a year later I was going to use the bagger option and the bag they gave me would not fit the mower. That is one reason not to buy at either Home Depot or Lowes. A dealer would have made sure I had the right stuff. Most dealers around here charge the same as the big box guys.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
OMG they sell clips to put on the handle so you can stop to pick up trash without the mower shutting off.
They cost $2 or you can pay the extra $100 for a blade clutch

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

afoulk

Threads
OMG they sell clips to put on the handle so you can stop to pick up trash without the mower shutting off.
They cost $2 or you can pay the extra $100 for a blade clutch

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

I use zip ties myself:thumbsup: Or in the case of my 1978 Snapper, theres no safety shut off to worry about:thumbsup:

Threads
I am now torn between this Toro 20332 Recycler with rear-wheel drive with personal pace ($359):
Toro Personal Pace Recycler 22 in. Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Lawn Mower - California Compliant-20332 at The Home Depot

and this Troy-Bilt TB230 with front-wheel drive and variable speed. ($299)
Lowes.com is currently offline for site maintenance.

I actually like front wheel drive lawn mowers (easier to turn around), but I keep hearing that Toro is a better brand and that rear-wheel is better.

Is the Toro worth an extra $60?

Thanks in advance.

PS I kind of like this Honda self-propelled, but it is kind of a budget buster:
Honda 21 in. 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self Propelled Gas Mower with Auto Choke-HRR216K9VKA at The Home Depot

Other than the Honda:thumbsup:, of the ones you listed I would probably choose the Toro because of the rear wheel drive, and also because the Toro has 8" rear wheels. Big enough to smooth out the ride, but not super big like the rear ones on the Troy-Bilt which make it harder to lift up to turn around.

afoulk

Threads
Not to mention Troy bilt isn't really synonymous with quality since mtd bought the name.