Toro Mod. 20017 Recycler Personal Pace Won't Roll With Engine Off

kcstueber

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro Mod. 20017 Recycler Personal Pace Won't Roll With Engine Off
Hi,
Hi all. This is my first post here. I'm hoping that someone can help me out.

I've got a fair amount of ability with repair, but I'm having an issue where the rear wheels won't turn forward when the engine is off. I have removed the transmission cable to observe the behavior of the transmission. With the mower on it's side, when I rotate either wheel, the transmission wants to pivot in the direction of tightening the belt. If I manually hold the transmission in position where the belt is most slack, the wheels will rotate, but when I let go of the transmission it immediately rotates to tighten the belt, thus locking the wheels. I can't see anything that holds the transmission in the loosest position. The attachment mount for the cable stops against the plastic shroud, which prevents it from rotating looser.

In the first image the cable attachment is resting against the plastic shroud, and if held there, the wheels will rotate forward.
In the second photo, I have rotated the wheels forward, thus tightening the belt. You can see that the attachment point has now been pulled away from the shroud.

Thanks.

KurtIMG_2846.JPGIMG_2847.JPG

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First of all, to me that belt looks worn, if it has more than three years on it replace. Second, this manual shows how your drive system works and how to troubleshoot it. After reviewing please come back with more questions. https://www.toro.com/getpub/22446

kcstueber

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the link.
After watching a number of video, then doing a removal of all of the parts to look at the transmission condition, I feel reasonably confident in its operation. Interestingly, it’s a new belt today from the Toro Dealer. The weight of the transmission does indeed release tension from the belt, but the moment yiu apply forward motion to the wheels, the transmission tilts back, tensioning the belt.
ThWhen the engine is running, and personal pace is pulled back, the rear wheels are able to move forward when punching the mowers handle. Pulling it rearward works either on or off.
Thanks

kcstueber

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the link.
After watching a number of video, then doing a removal of all of the parts to look at the transmission condition, I feel reasonably confident in its operation. Interestingly, it’s a new belt today from the Toro Dealer. The weight of the transmission does indeed release tension from the belt, but the moment yiu apply forward motion to the wheels, the transmission tilts back, tensioning the belt.
ThWhen the engine is running, and personal pace is pulled back, the rear wheels are able to move forward when punching the mowers handle. Pulling it rearward works either on or off.
Thanks
Sorry for all the typos. Pushing the mower handle, not punching it?

kcstueber

Forum Newbie
Threads
After a night of "sleeping on it", I am thinking of a scenario that this could occur; if there is enough resistance in the gearbox then the rotational force, when the wheels are moving forward, to counteract the weight of the transmission, thus tightening the belt. When the engine is running, the power of the engine is sufficient to mask the effect. As i am unfamiliar enough with the transmission and how easy it should rotate, I would have missed this in my inspection.

What do you think of that idea?

Kurt

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I doubt your assumption is possible, but anything can happen. If the belt is new, then I would take a look at the blade adapter. How old is the mower, serial number if you have it, as a worn adapter can cause this problem. If the pulley section is worn it will cause the pulley to grab the belt, instead of allowing it to slip under low tension.

kcstueber

Forum Newbie
Threads
Serial No. 220020636 I would guess it was purchased 2005-2006. It has been used very lightly.

Thanks.

kcstueber

Forum Newbie
Threads
As a follow up to the pulley adapter wear, is there a measurement or observation that can be done?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, observation only and many times that is not accurate. You have a 2002 model and at that age could definitely be the problem.