Toro Kholer 16HP (chinese version)

grm1757

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have an Older Toro SS3200 TImecutter Model 74621 that has the 16HP Chinese version of the Kholer 16Hp made for toro. A few weeks back it started backfiring real bad and then stopped. Doing research it seemed that it sheared off the flywheel pin. Last year I replaced the deck and all 4 tires and a few odd an ends so figured I would go ahead with a rebuild of this. Got a new flywheel, shear pins, new carb, fuel filter, plug and air filter. Got it apart and yes, pin was sheard off. Replaced, put on new flywheel replaced carb etc... cranked up and still NADA. MOre research and found it could be the valve lash. Pulled the cover and lo and behold, I guess when it backfired it was bad enough one of the rocker arm bolts broke. Replaced it. Set the valves at .004 on intake and .006 on exhaust. it starts but runs VERY rough, it will idle but barely, I can manually push linkage to speed up rpm and it runs but is obviously not right, smokes, pops a bit and is running hot.

I have taken apart about 6 times tweaked the valve lash, double checked the flywheel and all seems correct .... i am at a loss .... any suggestions would be great!

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Click on above link with your engine serial number handy. Engine Service Manual see troubleshooting section.

Last edited:

grm1757

Forum Newbie
Threads

Click on above link with your engine serial number handy. Engine Service Manual see troubleshooting section.
I have looked for a Ser# on this motor and have never found one. It may have been a sticker that just isnt there any more. I have a ser# on the Mower overall but not on just the engine. On the toro site I have pulled down all the manuals and parts books and it just gives me the usual, bad carb, clogged filters, spark plug, rocker arm clearance, flywheel pin. I have seen some things about setting "points" like in the old days on cars but havent looked into that much as yet.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IT will be electro etched into the crankcase
If you go to the Toro web page and enter your mower model number (74621) in the manuals section it will bring up the engine service manual for that mower as well as the parts book, owners manual mower manual and the quality of cut manual.
Broken rockers are usually the result of either a shifting valve guide ( overheating ) or some thing getting wedged between the piston & the valve head, including the piston if the cam is out of time .