Toro Briggs & Stratton won't prime

redace

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey, guys. I've got a Toro 6.5HP 190cc Briggs & Stratton lawnmower that has stopped priming. I press the bulb, nothing comes through. I've replaced both the primer bulb and the gasket but I'm still not getting any gas coming through. Checked the fuel line from the tank and it's totally clear... gas is flowing fine (tank is 3/4 full). Also replaced the air filter and spark plug while I was at it, but those are obviously unrelated.

What's the next likely thing to check that would be causing it not to prime? The only other thing between the gas tank and the primer is the carburetor, but would a bad carburetor actually keep it from priming at all? This model does not appear to have a fuel filter. I've heard people say that it's best to actually put 2 gaskets on, to get a more air-tight fit, but considering it's a brand new gasket and I'm getting absolutely zero gas flow when priming, that doesn't seem like the issue.

The only other thing I can think is that the air filter casing (which holds the primer bulb) is somehow warped and leaking air out, so it's not pulling the gas through. But it seems fine as far as I can tell.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a pretty good idea what engine/setup you have, but some engine model numbers never hurt anything. But for now, just remove your air filter cover and filter. If the primer is in the front, mounted on the air filter base, then yes, the base is likely warped and causing your problem. Just remove the base,
look at the backside of it, and you will see how it works. Smear a layer of sealant over both sides of the gasket, and reinstall that and the base, and let it dry. be carefull not to plug the tiny hole/orifices etc.... Jet it dry for an hour or so, and leave the filter and cover off. Then get down and look in the carb
throat and pump the primer bulb a few times and you should see a pulse of fuel shoot up in the carb.

redace

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I just tried 2 gaskets simultaneously (grabbed one off another mower) and that didn't work either. If the base was warped then it seems like the 2 gasket trick would have likely worked, but I guess I'll grab some sealant and try that.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
All the primer does on that model is send a pulse of air into the carb and send a slurp of fuel up into the carb throat/venture, so it is pretty straightforward....

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
For the hell of it, squirt some fuel or carb cleaner in the carb throat and see if the engine starts and keeps running, it should if your only problem is the "primer system"... Try that next.....

redace

Forum Newbie
Threads
Added some high tack sealant to the gasket, waited a couple hours, still won't prime. Tried the fuel trick you recommended and got the engine to start but it only runs for about 5 seconds and then stops (tried it several times with the same result). So... it appears I have at least 2 problems.

I think it's just time for a new mower. It's 6 years old. I'm not that savvy with engines, so it'll probably need a repair guy. The costs will likely come to at least half the cost of a new mower, and at that point the extra money is worth just having a new mower.

Anyways, thanks for your help, Fish. Much appreciated.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Carb needs a clean. Main jet could be blocked.

Also put 3 gaskets on if you have to.